Filter Suggestion for Sulawesi Tank

Would an Aquaclear 70 be overkill for a 20g long or would an AC 50 be alright? Decisions, decisions!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll be running the AC filter with a large double sponge filter.

Thanks

Would an Aquaclear 70 be overkill for a 20g long or would an AC 50 be alright? Decisions, decisions!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'll be running the AC filter with a large double sponge filter.

Thanks

Nope use them on mine. Works awesome!

-Chris

I don't think you can overkill when it comes to filters.

I went with the AC 50. I think that with the air sponge filter should be plenty. I see a lot of breeders who just go with the air sponge and are successful with just that. Hey Chris I had a hard time deciphering your post. I think your auto text is working well. Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I went with the AC 50. I think that with the air sponge filter should be plenty. I see a lot of breeders who just go with the air sponge and are successful with just that. Hey Chris I had a hard time deciphering your post. I think your auto text is working well. Lol!

I speak wisdom in code

-Chris

I'll start a Sulawesi journal once I get all my parts and pieces together. I just traded my daughter a reptile 20 L tank for her 20L aquarium. Score!

My plan was to use it at first. But when cleaning out the tank there was a sticker on the bottom of the tank saying " do not fill with water". Not sure who makes the reptile tank. Glad yours is holding!

Chris you can't like your own post.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

Lol guess k you can hahaha.... wasn't trying to.

-Chris

I'll start a Sulawesi journal once I get all my parts and pieces together. I just traded my daughter a reptile 20 L tank for her 20L aquarium. Score!

I would also recommend some Marco rock and crushed coral did wonders for me.

-Chris

Marco rock? What's that?

Looks like dried coral, keeps the ph high in the tank. That's what my LFS called it.

Posted Image

It's what's in this tank.

-Chris

That's really pretty.

Thanks, I have a few changes to the tank. It looks pretty cool after its been running a few months. Got a few nice rocks I got at the beach in there. The needle leaf java ferns look nice in those small tanks.

-Chris

I'm planning on going with the SS 8.5 salts and using crushed lava rock as substrate. From  what I understand this should keep the water parameters stable without having to add crushed corals or rocks. It seems with the macro rock your ph will keep creeping up. Or do water changes take care of that?

Mine stays 8.4 and I haven't done a WC in 3 months lol. SS does work but found the PH doesn't stay 8.5, is around 8.2-8.3 with no rock. Haven't ever seen it creep up. I have crushed coral and the rock. Can even put crushed coral in filter also.

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I added some lace rock which looks similar to lava rock but also raised my ph from 7.7 to 8.1. That was using my tap water while I wait for the tank to cycle. I'm still planning on using SS 8.5 and RO to keep parameters stable. I think the lace rock will help

I added some lace rock which looks similar to lava rock but also raised my ph from 7.7 to 8.1. That was using my tap water while I wait for the tank to cycle. I'm still planning on using SS 8.5 and RO to keep parameters stable. I think the lace rock will help

It will help! Make sure you let it run with SS for about a week before you add shrimp. Will keep the parameters stable.

-Chris