Ph: 6.2

TDS: 135

GH: 5

Temp: 23-25 C

Ammonia Nitrite: 0

Nitrate 5-10

Substrate: Breeders Soil

Filter: Ista Canister

I have Neocaridina Bloody Mary and Taiti Bee, both of them keep dying. Most of them stay on the filter inlet and dont really move. I did 2 water change today and yesterday, but no result.

What to do?

How long have you had them? Is the tank cycled? Nitrates should be at 0.

Also what are you using for WC? Tap? Multiple waterchanges are not that good for them. Stress can be a cause.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GH under 6 is not the problem, GH above 4 is normal if you go lower then 4 it can cause molting problems.

NO3- is also not the problem, NO3 is a source for our plants to grow/stay healthy.

PH under 7 can be the problem for neos..... i have tried to keep my fire shrimp at a ph of 5,7 and 3 months later from the 15 fire shrimp 3 left alive.

you say they are staying on the filter, this may indicate that your tank has low oxygen 02 

Neos are best suited for 7+ ph, but I've seen some adapt to high sixes. 6.2ph for neos and I think you are asking for deaths, IMO.

Also, any gh under 6 and my neos started dying off as well.

Strange though I have ADA soil in all my tanks now and my neos thrive. I switched about a year ago as a test and they are breeding good for me. I'll have to test my PH as I haven't in probably 6 months or more lol.

Strange though I have ADA soil in all my tanks now and my neos thrive. I switched about a year ago as a test and they are breeding good for me. I'll have to test my PH as I haven't in probably 6 months or more lol.

When people see breeding, they think it means they are happy but thats not always the truth.

I had crs at 5-5.3 pH and breeding but deaths every few days. Once i moved them to higher pH, the death stopped.

My experience is breeding != thriving.

When people see breeding, they think it means they are happy but thats not always the truth.

I had crs at 5-5.3 pH and breeding but deaths every few days. Once i moved them to higher pH, the death stopped.

My experience is breeding != thriving.

Maybe true, but I don't have any deaths. My colony is bigger than it ever has been and I couldn't count the amount in there. Now I'll have to go test my tanks lol,

I wonder if having neos are low ph stresses them so the get a disease which the bee shrimp get when they eat them. Just a thought because I had this happen in my TB tank. The neos started slowing dying from the low ph I think (they were fine in my higher ph tank) and a couple months later my TBs started dying from what appeared to be some kind of infection.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

How long have you had them? Is the tank cycled? Nitrates should be at 0.

Also what are you using for WC? Tap? Multiple waterchanges are not that good for them. Stress can be a cause.

I am using RO remineralized, I did water change since I think something wrong with the water

Neos are best suited for 7+ ph, but I've seen some adapt to high sixes.  6.2ph for neos and I think you are asking for deaths, IMO.

Also, any gh under 6 and my neos started dying off as well.

The bloody marys have been in the tank since 3 months ago and there is always berried one or two and already have some shrimplets, a month ago I add the Taiti bees, and this week they (both bloody mary and taiti bee) start to die one by one. I dont think it is ph problem since it is also affected the Taiti bees.

I wonder if having neos are low ph stresses them so the get a disease which the bee shrimp get when they eat them. Just a thought because I had this happen in my TB tank. The neos started slowing dying from the low ph I think (they were fine in my higher ph tank) and a couple months later my TBs started dying from what appeared to be some kind of infection.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I think it is certainly possible.

How long the tank been running? Do you remember the PH readings when you first set-up the tank?

Could be bacterial infection, molting or PH issue due to water chemistry.

About 1 year, probably some cycle issue since I cleaned the canister filter. But after I added an airstone, they seem better, no death after I added airstone. Thank you all

About 1 year, probably some cycle issue since I cleaned the canister filter. But after I added an airstone, they seem better, no death after I added airstone. Thank you all

That is likely the issue, it's best to not clean it and if you do rinse in tank water never use tap. Put a backup sponge filter in there to prevent this from happening if you need to clean the tank.

Alot of reasons I went away from cannister filters, found they can release a bunch of crap literally once you clean them.

That is likely the issue, it's best to not clean it and if you do rinse in tank water never use tap. Put a backup sponge filter in there to prevent this from happening if you need to clean the tank.

Alot of reasons I went away from cannister filters, found they can release a bunch of crap literally once you clean them.

But wouldn't sponge filters also do this? Mine always seem to release a bunch of crap into the water when I take them out to clean.

Also I and other people have had problems with our tanks around the year mark, I'm wondering if not cleaning substrate and filter is letting too much waste build up, which could have been released when you cleaned it finally.

But wouldn't sponge filters also do this? Mine always seem to release a bunch of crap into the water when I take them out to clean.

Also I and other people have had problems with our tanks around the year mark, I'm wondering if not cleaning substrate and filter is letting too much waste build up, which could have been released when you cleaned it finally.

Not as much as a canister imo, I also don't touch the substrate. I use Ada soil, don't feel the need to clean dirt lol.

Not as much as a canister imo, I also don't touch the substrate. I use Ada soil, don't feel the need to clean dirt lol.

Yeah I haven't touch mine either because I figured good bacteria should eat all the bad stuff. Could also be the soil gets depleted of the good stuff and that negatively effects the shrimps.