Lets talk LOWKEYS

Amyers22

anyone else who feeds double speed get death next few days?

I have one tank that was dropping about 1 a day while feeding Double Speed. All my other tanks are totally fine, just the Mischling tank that was being rocked.

Stopped feeding it to that tank, and the deaths have stopped. Continued in all the others without issue however.

Not sure what the issue was in the Misch tank, but I did a total tank reset just to be sure. Now trying to decide if I want to try it with them again or not

I feed double speed every weekday in my TB and PRL tanks, they have been thriving. Tanks are 20L with HMF filtration, weekly 15% water change.

I know one of the first thing that turned some heads when Double Speed first came out was the recommended dosing regime of 3x daily.  As I mentioned previously dose lots of supplements and are pretty crazy about it.  And it is common knowledge that if you pump your young shrimps full of supplements they will grow faster, have thicker shells' etc;  

What has changed with Double Speed is that the "offical" recommended dosage.  With previous products the manufacturer would be quite conservative on their recommended dosing (i.e 1-2x a week) and for good reason too as over dosing can lead to other issues if the user is not careful.  I use mostly benibachi products and for their growth type supplements I generally dose twice the recommended dosage (2x week) and I been getting pretty decent results;  I know benibachi themselves dose a few of these products daily! 

I too, do regular weekly water changes (10-25%) and that is always something I recommend to many of my customers, who are rather new to shrimps tend to overfeed.  I would say the same apply to anyone who tend to dose lots of supplements regardless of brand or type.

So after creating this thread I started trying out some samples of LOWKEYS foods. I used Double Speed in small amounts every other day. Over the course of two weeks I tried each of the following once: Ultra Supple, B18 Power Protein, Vitamin Kale, and Hidden No Esa. During this time I preformed one 10% water change. I had two unexpected deaths of adult Taiwan Bees and lost several babies in both my TB tank and Crystal tank.

To give a brief background of my tanks: I have two 7g cubes with ADA. They cycled for 2.5 months prior to introducing shrimp. The shrimp have been in these tanks for almost two months now with no deaths, successful molts, and several berried females. I use MK Blue Diamond as my remineralizer and Mosura Old Sea Mud in very tiny amounts biweekly. My normal feeding schedule consists of feeding a calcium pellet food 2 times a week, Glasgarten shrimp dinner 2 times a week, and Bacter AE in tiny amounts once daily. I supplement with different HAN foods once a week depending on what I have already fed for that week. I also feed an amaranth leaf once a month and there is always an IAL in the tank. I take two days a week and feed nothing but the tiny amount of Bacter AE.

Due to the deaths I have stopped feeding LOWKEYS products. I cannot pin point exactly what caused the deaths, but after reading that others experienced deaths from the Double Speed I assumed that could be the reason for the deaths in my tanks too.

Amanda, did you use airline tubing to add in new water? I found a while back for me, adding water too abruptly has bad consequences for my tanks.

Yes, I use airline to drip my water back in. The only time I don't use airline is when I top off my tanks in the morning and at night.

The morn/night top off may be your challenge?

I have never had an issue with this. I always top off slowly with water that is the same temp as the tank water and because I do two top offs a day I am only adding very minimal amounts of water each time so there is barely a shift in the parameters.

Top off a day? Wow, do you have a lid? If you don't how much water evaporates?

There is no lid on either of my tanks so that's why I do daily top offs. The evaporation isn't terrible and by topping off in small amounts twice a day I prevent a change in parameters.

So after creating this thread I started trying out some samples of LOWKEYS foods. I used Double Speed in small amounts every other day. Over the course of two weeks I tried each of the following once: Ultra Supple, B18 Power Protein, Vitamin Kale, and Hidden No Esa. During this time I preformed one 10% water change. I had two unexpected deaths of adult Taiwan Bees and lost several babies in both my TB tank and Crystal tank.

Due to the deaths I have stopped feeding LOWKEYS products. I cannot pin point exactly what caused the deaths, but after reading that others experienced deaths from the Double Speed I assumed that could be the reason for the deaths in my tanks too.

What was your feeding regime with these products, how much, how often, and in tangent with what other products? Maybe I can lend a hand, I have used Lowkeys for sometime now with no problems, actually have really good results.