What fruit and vegetables do you feed your shrimp?

Louie

What fruit and vegetables do you feed your shrimp?

I have tried rinsed peas and corn  from the can and sliced tomato .

Other things I have tried which they ignored was tiny bit of raw yam and avocado.

thanks

My neo's and bee shrimp like Asian pears if they can get past the snails.

I use simple, cheap & affordable thawed out mushy peas.  High nutrient value, easy to feed & absorb medication or supplements.

By the way, Pokeshrimp started this informative thread also.  :thumbsu:

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/5029-free-food/?hl=%2Bfree+%2Bfood

Thanks it was very good reading with lots good ideas .

I particularly liked what Soothing said about shrimp changing color due to food as heard that before .

Not saying don't do it, heh, but be careful feeding sugary foods.  It can cause bacterial blooms.

Good reminder.

I was feeding 'small' amounts with no issues. But as an added safety measure, I now soak 'sugary' foods in a separate container of water before adding to the tank.

For the yam, I definitely think you should cook it first. Boil, bake, poach/braise.

I have also found that they are not always interested in eating the food right away. It needs to get to a certain state of breakdown, and then... lookout!

I purchased some organic Kale, boiled it for ~5 minutes so it would be easier for the shrimp to eat and just in case something was on the kale.

I put the cooked kale on some paper towels to dry with the intention to then freeze it but when I check on it later on it was dry and crisp. It looked and felt just like the Amaranth you get from Tantora.

I tried it with my RCS first and they were all over it. I have since feed it to my CRS/CBS, Tigers and TB. All seem to really like it and for $2.00 for a good bunch of kale you can't beat it.

I grow it in my garden, so I know exactly what it has been expose to. You can blanch it, blot it and squish it flat then freeze it. When I want to use it I break a piece off, toss it in a small cup of water and microwave it. Let it cool and toss it in.

For people it also works as an additive in stews, stir frys and fried rice.

We buy them at costco all the time.

Asian pears are delicious .

When I said I had them in Korea but not since than ,I got them confused with kumquats.

My wife is going to pick up some Asian pears tomorrow because now I have a hankering for them , lol .