Way to raise pH with ADA Amazonia

Was thinking about ADA Amazonia and how in shrimp keeping most people use it for its acidic effect on pH.

If you wanted to use ADA Amazonia for its great plant nutrient source, but wanted to keep Neos or other things that fair better with neutral pH or higher. What would be the best thing to add to the tank to raise the pH?

I was thinking about Seiryu stones or possibly crushed coral, but they aren't really stable or controllable. Is there a stable solution for higher pH?

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but why not sand? In my shrimp tanks I use petco black sand or regular pool sand and my plants do ok, but in one tank I have Caribsea sand, which is really fine and different to work with but I noticed that my dwarf hairgrass was rooted and sending out runners in only a couple of weeks. I didn't expect that, but it is neutral, attractive, and seems to be growing my plants like crazy. Do I perhaps have easy growing plants that are less demanding than most of you experts have?

Please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question, but why not sand? In my shrimp tanks I use petco black sand or regular pool sand and my plants do ok, but in one tank I have Caribsea sand, which is really fine and different to work with but I noticed that my dwarf hairgrass was rooted and sending out runners in only a couple of weeks. I didn't expect that, but it is neutral, attractive, and seems to be growing my plants like crazy. Do I perhaps have easy growing plants that are less demanding than most of you experts have?

Not a stupid question at all! The main reason why I am asking this is to help with a "problem" I've found at the store I work at. We mainly sell high intense lighting and I regard ADA Amazonia as the best substrate for plants. At least I found it to be the best with a substandard fert dosing regiment. We have recently started to carry ADA, so I want to make sure I can recommend it for any/most situations.

Why not dirt capped off with sand?

Kinda answered that in response to Wygglz, but my store has recently started to sell Amazonia and it's my opinion that it's one of, if not the best planted substrate out there. I am just trying to figure out if there are "easy" ways to get a higher stable pH with Amazonia so I can recommend it to more people. We sell a lot more Neos and neutral range pH fish than Cards.

Just add loads of baking soda until the buffering is super weak which should take a week or two depending on how deep the substrate is.

I was thinking about that. Do you think it would only take a week or two to weaken the buffer enough?

I was thinking about that. Do you think it would only take a week or two to weaken the buffer enough?

It took less than one week to make my 1" depth controsoil substrate inert with 10KH or higher

If you are planning to make 2-3" depth substrate, you have to dig every other day to ensure the bottom part is getting weakened as well.

I have a tank with Amazonia and pH never fell lower 6.6-6.8. In that tank I have neos and TBs. The only thing I think why my ph never goes lower is 2 stones I have in there. They're about 2 inches if not less each. Also I use distilled water mixed with tap. I do water changes every week about 10-15% and vaccuum the soil a bit.

Plants do better in lower pH, nutrients absorption and co2 stays in water. I would not suggest Ada Aquasoil to clients if they want a neutral ph. It's what peeps are paying for.

I would suggest turface or soil master select. These are much cheaper options, it's pretty much what you are getting after exhausting the substrate. Turface and sms are clay based substrates that plants can root into. Ph is neutral. It won't grow the fanciest plants.

If I found out I paid $50 for substrate, and was told to destroy it with baking soda and then found out I could have gotten a similar substrate for $5 I would be pretty upset.