Never do this. Powdered crab shell.

I doubt anyone would do this but many months ago I had some ghost shrimp in a 5 gal fish bowl and was thinking "I should feed them something they can build shells with". Then I hit upon a faux clever idea "Why not just feed them powdered crab shells, there is nothing better to make shell out of better than shell!"

So I took my bag of king/snow crab shells out of the freezer, grabbed a hand full and boiled them for an hour or more. Then I let them dry and ran them through my spice grinder until they were fine powder. It looked like I made a non-vegan safe white glitter.

So I gave one tiny pinch to the shrimp.

They were all dead when I walked past the bowl a little while later. I do not know if it plugged their gills or what, but powdered crab shells seems to be super poisonous to shrimp. So I lost a little over a dollar in shrimp (god bless cheap guinea pigs).

it probably had salt still on it and it changed the salinity too fast or it almost acted as diatomaceous earth and cut them all up.

you van buy some cuttlebone for birds I believe and use that for calcium, its what you use for mystery snails too.

you also need to change the water and recycle the tank now because whatever was in those shells is going to kill everything, so wash all the decorations and substrate in white vinegar and then boil them and get new filter media.

it probably had salt still on it and it changed the salinity too fast or it almost acted as diatomaceous earth and cut them all up.

you van buy some cuttlebone for birds I believe and use that for calcium, its what you use for mystery snails too.

you also need to change the water and recycle the tank now because whatever was in those shells is going to kill everything, so wash all the decorations and substrate in white vinegar and then boil them and get new filter media.

It was a tiny pinch that even if it was straight salt woudl have surprised me if it did anything. Besides I figured a hour of boiling removed most of the salt (usually there is not that much salt that comes out during boiling when they are freshly frozen, as that is when I make unagi sauce with them.). Home made diatomaceous earth, is what I suspect happened.

The bowl and substrate got washed out and then I put in 3 new ghost shrimp. This is how I learned that ghost shrimp are jerks. The 1 remaining shrimp is big and happy (and I have to remember the shrimp is not lonely, shrimp do not get lonely).