What should I do with my tailess Endler?

Sprice

Ok so I definitely only have 4 out of 6 Endlers left. Never found the second one so I guess he's just sort of disintergrated through the filter. Did a decent water change today to get rid of any 'bits' [emoji52]

The leader of the pack is one of the smallest but also most colourful and he flares a lot and seems to bother the others, especially a bigger paler one who I'm thinking now might be a female?!! They all looked like males but now they're starting to colour up he/she looks much paler than the rest and 'fatter' almost pregnant looking! Lol [emoji16]

Going to get them some kind of weed tomorrow x

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Ok so I definitely only have 4 out of 6 Endlers left. Never found the second one so I guess he's just sort of disintergrated through the filter. Did a decent water change today to get rid of any 'bits' [emoji52]

The leader of the pack is one of the smallest but also most colourful and he flares a lot and seems to bother the others, especially a bigger paler one who I'm thinking now might be a female?!! They all looked like males but now they're starting to colour up he/she looks much paler than the rest and 'fatter' almost pregnant looking! Lol [emoji16]

Going to get them some kind of weed tomorrow x

I have had endlers for years and I always tell people that they will go after each other and people think I'm crazy till they put several males together .

Granted they aren't cichlids but they do have a pecking order but thick plants are the key or even other type small fish .Just not the demonic mosquito fish .

Yeah they're pretty fiesty but no one seems to be physically hurting anyone else just a lot of bothering. Ah cool about the ph, I'm quite happy with my ph it is highish but never varies

I read somewhere that guppies and endlers were rather popular in the UK ?

They do seem to be, most LFS round here stock them. They are quite often described as a 'good starter' fish which I don't completely agree with but they seem to be doing ok. Finally got them some additional plants to hide in.

bafdbd57f61c669183c9615f4d142bfc.jpg

Saw some beautiful little Dwarf Puffers yesterday :) Would love some of those. Would obviously have to wait until I get another tank as they nees to be on their own.

Dwarf puffers are fantastic .

Pet store I go to had them but sold them out fairly fast .

Everyone who as had them says they have personality .

Set yourself up a 10 gallon tank with some plants and get a few .

They seem easy as far as water goes but unlike endlers you  need a heater .

I think their only drawback is feeding according to several sites .

The pet store fed them ghost shrimp and snails .

''

The most available member of the genus is the pygmy or dwarf puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus), also sometimes called the pea puffer. A fully grown adult male will top out at about three-fourths of an inch (about 2.2 centimeters). Males exhibit deep green coloration often highlighted with gold, and a golden to orange belly. Females are a bit plain, with lighter colors, no golden highlights and a whitish belly.

These diminutive blowfish come from Kerala State in Southwestern India and are collected in the River Pamba. They are not picky about water conditions and will adjust to most local water supplies without trouble. They are ravenous eaters, consuming just about any live or frozen food. Unlike many larger puffer species, they don't seem to enjoy frozen mussel and will just pick at it, while their larger cousins will gulp it down whole. They will even eat flake and pellet foods, though they don't seem to respond as well to them and will slowly waste away if that is all you feed them. Their particular favorites are frozen bloodworms, other worms of any kind and newly hatched brine shrimp. They love snails and will quickly depopulate an aquarium of these sometimes annoying gastropods.''

http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/species-info/puffer/dwarf-puffers-are-hard-to-resist.aspx

Thank you so much for the puffer info! Very interesting reading [emoji18]

They sound facsinating! I've already got a heater for the Endlers even though it's not entirely necessary. It keeps the temp at 24c and you can't adjust it. From what I've read puffers need at least 25c. Definitely going to get a dwarf puffer tank in the future [emoji7]

I try and vary the Endlers diet so they never have the same thing two days in a row. I usually alternate between algae wafers, ground up flakes, frozen blood worms and blanched veggies. I've found some great frozen blood worms. About £2.78 for a blister pack and I've only used one whole blister section so far and there's about 12 sections in total, they go a long way.

Sorry for the delay, I have three assasin snails currently. However today I have today discovered some very, very, very tiny little creatures darting about on the inside of the glass? What can they be? SHRIMPS? I did put new plants in last week but soaked them for days.....I hope it is shrimp but does this happen?

Sorry for the delay, I have three assasin snails currently. However today I have today discovered some very, very, very tiny little creatures darting about on the inside of the glass? What can they be? SHRIMPS? I did put new plants in last week but soaked them for days.....I hope it is shrimp but does this happen?

Chances are they are harmless scuds . They came with your plants .  You soaked them but they still survived .  Male endlers will eat baby scuds but perhaps not adults .

They are harmless .

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/scud.htm

attachicon.gif20160131_113821.jpg

Just did a PWC :) Added a new almond leaf :)

I wanted to ask you what type filter your BIORB uses because it looks like undergravel but looking at pics it seems to be some type removable insert ?

I saw the 28 gallon with salt on some video but it had no sound .

Yeah it comes with a removable insert and it's own ceramic media substrate, biorb reckon you need to change the filter every 4 months but from what I've read you can definitely go longer than that like maybe 6 to 8. I imagine it will be tricky. The general consensus is that they're not great tanks, you're not supposed to put live plants in them but I have loads! They seem to do fine. I'm trying to recreate the Endlers natural habitat as much as possible. Do you think they would benefit from an airstone? I really like them but don't know if there would be any point?

Yeah it comes with a removable insert and it's own ceramic media substrate, biorb reckon you need to change the filter every 4 months but from what I've read you can definitely go longer than that like maybe 6 to 8. I imagine it will be tricky. The general consensus is that they're not great tanks, you're not supposed to put live plants in them but I have loads! They seem to do fine. I'm trying to recreate the Endlers natural habitat as much as possible. Do you think they would benefit from an airstone? I really like them but don't know if there would be any point?

I would not add an air stone .  The filter and water changes are plenty .

I keep endlers outside but in an old 55 gallon I had a snake in years ago I also keep about 200 endlers and some platies without a filter .

I do siphon out bottom and change about 20 gallons a week .

They are my ''back up'' because come summer I get countless Cuban treefrogs in the outside endlers stock tanks which look like ponds and though you wouldn't think treefrogs eat fish, the toll they consume is staggering so I use the back ups which breed all year long after the treefrogs leave .

post-74-0-12249000-1454342597_thumb.jpg

post-74-0-69640300-1454342680_thumb.jpg

oh I see the filter has to be removed thus you need to remove the plants, etc .

That is a pain .

I like the round look of the tank itself and was eyeing the bigger model for some pygmy everglade sunfish but I now see that I couldn't have it as planted tank .

Yeah I think it's going to be a real pain, my plants are all either rooted to wood or rocks though so hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Your set ups look facsinating, I'd love to keep some outdoors!

I can only see 3 Endlers today, I think they might be slowly killing each other one by one :(

Yeah I think it's going to be a real pain, my plants are all either rooted to wood or rocks though so hopefully that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Your set ups look facsinating, I'd love to keep some outdoors!

I can only see 3 Endlers today, I think they might be slowly killing each other one by one :(

You could in the future just use tiny pots with plants placed on your rocks . Ludwiga , water sprite are only a couple which thrive in tiny bit of gravel and grow lush .

Ah that's a good idea, I'm going to have to get it all out at some point so it might be worth doing it to make it easier in the future.

Just noticed my Anubias is sprouting new leaves. :)

Still no sign of number three, I'm starting to worry now that they might be getting sucked in to the filter :( Again I think I'll have to address that when I replace the filter.