FS: Hair Algae Killer

Soothing Shrimp

For sale 100ml Elevate Hair Algae Killer in bottle (was around 120ml, but I used around 15ml)

Seems to do what it says, but I want to go for the natural approach and try using Amanos.

File_000_5_large.jpeg?v=1450310475

Sells for $13 new.  I received it less than a month ago. 

Asking $10  for the 4 oz bottle- the one to the right in elevate.com's picture above. 

You pay for USPS shipping of your choice.  Can't be much more fair than that.

Here's the description from Elevate's site:

"This hair algae killer is shrimp and plant safe and has been tested here on freshwater neocaridina shrimp and also on our most sensitive caridina shrimp variety. This product will weaken all filament algae such as green hair algae & black beard algae (BBA) and possibly outright kill it through the dosing regimen.  This product also has shown to significantly reduce the presence of green spot algaes.  The recommended dosing regimen is 4mL per 10 gallons, weekly for 4 weeks."

The description says you don't have to do a wc each week after using, however IMHO to be safe it would probably be a good idea.

Does the amano thing really work? I'm having a terrible time with green hair algae in my new 3g nano aquascape and have been looking for a product... But I too like to go the biological route.

I had some trouble but I'm "culling" my shrimp into my betta tank and they are working on it. Same moss in the shrimp tanks don't have problems but when I trim it and throw it into the refugium without shrimp, it grows.

So I was reading around and came across a method of reducing light, increasing CO2 injection, and applying organic carbon (API CO2 Booster) directly to the hair algae with a syringe or small squeeze bottle... you can use Flourish Excel instead of API CO2 Booster, but Excel has iron in it and high levels are associated with algae blooms, so I recommend API. I started 5 days ago and it's decreased by like 90%! TRY IT, IT WORKS. 

Thanks.  I don't have high tech setups.  And no disrespect, however if I wanted to continue using chems, I'd keep using Elevate's Hair Algae Killer. LOL

I appreciate you taking the time to write that though.  Thank you.  Perhaps another member will be able to use the knowledge you wrote. :thumbsu:

I know we discussed amanos, but have you tried nerites? I have read that they'll eat hair algae, but I have no experience with this myself. I just bought a few and am loving their personalities. Really cool and active snails.

My nerites wont touch the stuff.

My amanos have never touched my green thread algae (hair algae that is long like a human's hair rather than peach fuzz)