NJ

phanizzle

Whats going on Shrimpspot!

I just wanted wanted to introduce myself and say I am glad I found this forum, and such a forum exists! I am getting back into the shrimp game after being hiatus for a few years now, and damn has it changed. Back in 2007 (when I was only in HS ha) I stumbled upon these dwarf shrimps and instantly fell in love. I quickly transformed my old 20L fish only tank to a shrimp only tank. I started off with the Cherry shrimps then gradually got into (low to mid grade) CRS/CBS & OEBT (all expensive as hell back then lol). So I stumbled up the magazine Breeders'n'Keepers and the bug is officially back and I can say better than ever. I can't believe how far the shrimp game has come, especially in the US because we were and still a little late in the shrimp game. But it's great how theres such a variety of foods, equipment, and of course species that are readily available now! 

So I am just waiting for a few final things to get my tank started and I am thinking of getting into Red Tiger shrimps this time around. As fantastic looking as all of these other shrimps are, there is something that is making me gravitate towards the Red Tigers. I think its the fact of trying to breed something that is pure bred in its wild form and possibly for the fact that nobody is really paying these guys any mind like the rest of the shrimps in this game. 

So my setup is going to be 

•4.7G Rimless Tank

•3W LED Light (comes with the tank)

•ADA Amazonia

•Hydor Mini Heater

•Tetra Whisper Air Pumo

•Custom HMF 

•Yamaya Stones

•Ryuoh Stones

- I plan on keeping it low tech this time around with just type of mosses and marimo balls.

I am glad I was able to find this forum and that a place like this exists! I'm looking forward to learning from everyone on this forum!

P.S. Are there any Orange Eye Red tiger shrimps? (not OEBT Blondes) // For those keeping red tigers are you keeping them with any other tiger shrimps? If so how is that going?

Thanks Guys!

Welcome!  Glad to see you relapsed. LOL

Tell me, why the heater? :)

Hey thanks for the reply Soothing Shrimp!

I couldn't help but relapse after seeing whats available now! When I was doing it, I just had a few pieces of candy to choose from..now I'm like a damn kid in a candy store! lol

I got the heater just to keep the tank at a steady water temp..is this something that isn't necessary? I have central air/heating however the temps do change here depending on how everyone is feeling in the house. Is there something I am missing here about having a heater?

Thanks!

Welcome to TSS and back to the shrimp'n hobby. I took a year off and came back to a whole new world, multiple years away must feel like an entire world of difference. You have came to the right place to ask questions and to learn.

Welcome! I think I've seen OERT before. Can't remember who was selling them but it was like 2 for $150! They were neat looking because I've never seen them before but its like tou said seems like no one is working on breeding those stripes to be bolder like they did with OEBTs.

Welcome to TSS and back to the shrimp'n hobby. I took a year off and came back to a whole new world, multiple years away must feel like an entire world of difference. You have came to the right place to ask questions and to learn.

jem_xxiiii thanks for the welcome! & tell me about it, I took 3 years off freshwater (went SW reef) and 5 years off the shrimp game so coming back is a bit overwhelming but great at the same time!

Welcome! I think I've seen OERT before. Can't remember who was selling them but it was like 2 for $150! They were neat looking because I've never seen them before but its like tou said seems like no one is working on breeding those stripes to be bolder like they did with OEBTs.

Poke shrimp thanks for the welcome! That sounds like too much for my blood, and I would rather try and do it myself, I mean thats where half of the fun is, right? lol. But I was just wondering because I've seen videos on youtube of red tigers mixed with some OEBT and reg tigers and wanted to know the outcome of it, but nobody has responded, but it could be that the videos are a few years old. I was thinking maybe some regular orange eye tigers with red tigers to see how it goes and if it comes out OERT to separate them, but thats something I'll work on down the line. As of right now, I think I'm going to try and focus on getting some nice RT and getting tank full of those! Can't wait until my tank arrives to start cycling it!

Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to the hobby!

Thank You!

Welcome to the group. I grew up in North Jersey but that was back when there was still only the 201 area code.

Thanks! Those that know still refer it as 201!  ;) any other area code is foreign..

Welcome Back Phanizzle! Glad you were able to stumble across this forum!