4.6g Tank

phanizzle

What's going on guys,

So I finally received my tank and was able to have some time to set it up today.

List:

•4.6g Rimless tank

-Stock 3w LED

•Tetra Whisper 10 Air Pump

•Custom HMF corner filter

•ADA Amazonia substrate

•Hydor Mini Heater

•Ryuoh Stone

•Yamaya Stone

•Cholla Wood

•Flame Moss
•Small & Nano Moss Balls

•Indian Almond Leaf

•Guava Leaf

•Alder Cones

•Ebi King Mineral Balls

The tank is still clearing up, and the leaves and alder cones are still floating around. Now on to the long wait until I can add some shrimp. I plan on adding Red Tigers in this tank (anyone know a good breeder?). 

On to some pictures - Let me know what you guys think!

post-3561-0-50033600-1457663358_thumb.jp

post-3561-0-11387100-1457663358_thumb.jp

post-3561-0-72545500-1457663357_thumb.jp

post-3561-0-02778500-1457663364_thumb.jp

Welcome to TSS. Looks like you are off to a good start. You might want to cover the holes on your in tank filter as to no let shrimplets get in there.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The only hole on the HMF is the spout where water is getting pumped out. When it's time to add shrimp, I'm most likely not going to fill it to the top like in the pictures, but I wanted my tank to be quiet as it cycles lol.

Tank looks good, seems like you have all the recipes for success. Now just be patient wait for the cycle to complete and then take your time acclimating the Red Tigers and you will find success! Dahlyvh actually just started breeding these, but maybe by the time you are ready to purchase some he may have some available.

Tank looks good, seems like you have all the recipes for success. Now just be patient wait for the cycle to complete and then take your time acclimating the Red Tigers and you will find success! Dahlyvh actually just started breeding these, but maybe by the time you are ready to purchase some he may have some available.

Thanks DETAquarium! I'll be sure to keep a look out for Dahlyvh when its time to stock the tank. Thanks for the recommendation!

• 2 weeks later...

So I recently just got my API test kit and tested my water throughout the week (Monday: Day I received the kit, wednesday, and today) and my water params are reading around

PH: 6.4 - 6.6

Ammonia: 4ppm

Nitrite: 0.25ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Is this normal for the levels to stay constant? I know its only been 10 days, but from my previous set ups the cycling process moved a long pretty quickly. Not quickly to add livestock, but def saw changes in the water parameters within a week of tank set up. Just wanted to update the journal and obviously also to ask if this is something thats normal? 

Thanks in advanced!

You might want to bump up your temp to at least 76degF. Are you adding any source of ammonia or is the 4ppm just from the Amazonia soil? Did you seed your filter with bacteria from another tank? I think you should have seen higher readings of Nitrites by now but I've always seeded my filters with bacteria from another tank. Also, I've never used Amazonia before but others have mentioned that it leeches ammonia for at least a month.

You might want to bump up your temp to at least 76degF. Are you adding any source of ammonia or is the 4ppm just from the Amazonia soil? Did you seed your filter with bacteria from another tank? I think you should have seen higher readings of Nitrites by now but I've always seeded my filters with bacteria from another tank. Also, I've never used Amazonia before but others have mentioned that it leeches ammonia for at least a month.

I haven't added any sources of ammonia and the 4ppm is most likely just from Amazonia Soil. I didn't seed my tank with any bacteria.

I recently did my first cycle with amazonia and it does leech ammonia for a long time and even with seeded media I did not see nitrites for until at least 2-3 weeks in.

Good luck with your new setup.  Looks good:)

Thanks!

Just 11 days in right?........be patient and let the cycle do its thing.  

yeah about 2 weeks in now. I know to be patient, I was just asking if its normal because from all my other set ups in the past I don't remember ever having my water params at a stand still. But I'm definitely going to let it take its course...its not like I have a choice  :unsure:

Thanks for all the replies guys. Appreciate it!