starter anubis?

Soothing Shrimp

they are all pretty much the same other than price of the white one lol. only thing to remember is you cant bury the rhizome. if you want them in the substrate bury it then pull it up softly till just the roots are in the substrate. one thing i notice is they burn/dry out easy so if its above water needs to be pretty humid. and they bounce back pretty well but kinda slow growers. i had a couple bits i tossed in my 29 back in march when i was starting the tank cycling and the ammo burnt them really bad. they lost all their leave ( just a couple nodes about an inch long). they are just now putting out new roots and new leaves. but are coming back. i just left them free floating in the tank as well 

Anubias are very slow growers and don't need a whole lot as a consequence. I wouldn't bother with anything beyond potassium and a little iron, assuming the tank has some kind of animal that you are supplying with food.

What kind of ferts would they need in a plant only tank?

I use pps pro ferts for Anubias in a grow tank. You don't need much of anything and they will grow. I like them they are great in shrimp tanks. Start With the nana They are all about the same just bigger leaves. I've also heard in shrimp tanks to not cut in a tank as it can be poisonous to shrimp.

-Chris

i dont use ferts. ok i have not in a super long time. anubias get what they need from the water column. i dont dose my tanks at all. anubias are one of the few plants you dont really have to worry about fish eating due to their thick leaves. they are for the most part pretty low growers. for some reason the one i have in my moms angel tank grows like mad. bryce send me a pm

in the last 6 months this one has put on about 11 new leaves. i cut this one and a 2 leaf section off of it. im not sure what type it is though but the leaves get no bigger and its getting new roots. they are nitrate sponges and love higher amounts. not sure why though

All anubis's grow the same beside the white/marble vary.

All slow and steady.

Perfect for shrimp tanks.

The whole thing about cutting the rhizome in a shrimp tank leaking something poisonous out is a myth, I had a thread on it in tpt or commented on one fairly recently. From what I understand some one in the uk had gotten an anubias and I believe it was emersed grown, after putting it in the tank he trimmed it and the next day or week w.e. His shrimp all died, but eventually it was found out that it was a toxin or insecticide or something along those lines on the plant itself that killed them.

I've had anubias in shrimp tanks and trimmed them without any deaths. Many of us have.

On the topic though anubias nana is fairly easy to grow, I love the micro one though super tiny leaves. I'm planning on using that or something similar in my apisto breeding tank I just ordered.