I own one small marina breeder box (given to me by a friend) which I have only used to isolate my peacock gudgeons during breeding. It's a bit small for this so I was going to get a medium or large. So I was looking around Amazon, and saw they have multipacks so I figured I'd get a couple extra for my shrimp tanks. I want to get mediums  (0.2g), but should I use the small one I have for the shrimp? I don't really see any disadvantage of the mediums over the small... So I was wondering who has had experience using these for drip acclimation/selective breeding, and what size is best for this?

I own one small marina breeder box (given to me by a friend) which I have only used to isolate my peacock gudgeons during breeding. It's a bit small for this so I was going to get a medium or large. So I was looking around Amazon, and saw they have multipacks so I figured I'd get a couple extra for my shrimp tanks. I want to get mediums  (0.2g), but should I use the small one I have for the shrimp? I don't really see any disadvantage of the mediums over the small... So I was wondering who has had experience using these for drip acclimation/selective breeding, and what size is best for this?

The small ones are great for dripping shrimp, Medium and large are better for isolation on a semi basis and I base what size Im going to use on by fit.

I've used all 3 for selective breeding. I now prefer the small ones. I usually have a couple females with one male (or vice-versa) in them and they work out fine. Sometimes I'll let a female hatch her babies in the small sized box. This makes it easier to find the babies for me.

40 minutes ago, ShrimpP said:

Any particular reason for separating berried females and not just leaving them in with the rest of the colony?

Like soothing said and if your looking to separate those babies due to a project your doing to get a specific color or pattern/cross.  Some also will put a female ready to breed in the box with a specific male/males they want to cross with.

These breeder boxes are excellent for drip acclimating. Its what I use..,. plus to prepare shrimp for shipping you can put them in there. I use all 3 sizes , depends for which purpose you are using them.

Ken's Fish has really good prices on his Marina Breeder boxes, and free shipping if your order is over $49 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to pick up one of these to allow berried females to hatch, and let the babies grow large enough before putting them back into the main tank. Is this good to use as is, or do I need to insert some foam somewhere to block shrimp from escaping back into the tank through the outflow?

44 minutes ago, ibebian said:

I'd like to pick up one of these to allow berried females to hatch, and let the babies grow large enough before putting them back into the main tank. Is this good to use as is, or do I need to insert some foam somewhere to block shrimp from escaping back into the tank through the outflow?

A lot people do that, Use a sponge with small pores at the outflow, this is what I do. I put just enough substrate from the main tank to make a single layer for the bottom with some moss and plant fragments, the shrimp seem more comfortable.