Upgrading my tank

jackbailey

Hi guys, I've been lurking around here for a while now, and you've all helped me so much when it came to setting up and cycling my tank, so I thought it was about time I made my first post. I've had my tank since October - and I added 10 RCS in November, it's running a double sponge filter, a piece of wood with Java moss tied to it and moss balls, it's a 12 litre so nothing special at all. But now my colony has increased rapidly so I'm looking to treat the shrimp to a new home. I want either the 35L Dennerle Scapers or the 30L Dennerle Nano Cube - not decided yet. But when I do purchase and switch over, am I best cycling the tank before I add the shrimp or will using the same filter, wood and moss be okay? Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to ask the best way to catch my shrimps, there's a lot of them in there at the minute, I've seen the bottle trap idea floated about on here a few times. I was just wondering if there was any other ways to do it?

I have moved shrimp into a new tank by just putting a used sponge filter in the new tank and letting it run for a day or so. Aging the tank is good, especially for the babies, since they need that biofilm. If I do that, I will add a fish or two to keep the cycle going.

I moved ~100 shrimplets and 5 adults from a 5g to a 10g with nothing more than a cheapo small fish net that came with my first 1g aquarium kit. It wasn't super fun, but it worked out okay. The main thing with those kinds of nets is getting the shrimp out cleanly...especially if the target container is not very large. Not difficult to have the poor thing spill out onto dry land. I now have a 3D net that I bought from Ken's Fish (available all over, cheapest at Ken's)

• 3 months later...

Little update, my girlfriend bought me the dennerle scapers 35l for my birthday. I spent my birthday setting it up and swapping everything over (it wasn't at all stressful haha!) Well after two weeks I have my first lot of shrimplets in the new tank. I'd count that as a success :D 

IMG_7584.JPG

IMG_7587.JPG