Sustaining genetic diversity

How do you keep your shrimp genetics good ?

Do you ever add new shrimp to your functional tank ?

I have recently started a DBTOE tank, and the shrimps are doing well, but they are very rare in my country, and I have started it with just 12 - since it's heavily planted I can't even tell if some died or not. And this got me wondering if I should start to look for a different breeder and buy some more. and should I do it straight away or add them after some breeding has already occured?

Regards,

dao

I would say at least once a year, add some shrimp from a different breeder to get that diversity. You can even add some shrimp from 3-4 different breeders to inhance it even further.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

A scientific paper was published a while back that showed shrimp inbred into the 12th generation still showed plenty of genetic diversity.

What this means is you could breed your tank for years and not have to add new blood.

This is a blessing for those of us whom like to improve on or create strains. :)

Honestly, culling is so very important to keep strong genetics and coloration. 

Even though we may not need to add new blood to the gene pool for awhile. I still find peace of mind by adding new stuff every now and then. But just make sure you take the precautions for new shrimps. I managed to crash my Cobalt Blue Neo tank when I added in OEBTs. All of the Cobalt Neos started to drop like flies. I believe it was caused by foreign bacteria from the other tank. Which triggered a bacterial infection.