Breeder Box Recommendations

Hey Shrimpspot!

Looking for some options on Internal Breeder Boxes used for selectively breeding shrimp. I prefer acrylic or plastic, not mesh. Also, please give me any tips you find beneficial.

Thank you,

DETAquarium

1 hour ago, bostoneric said:

how many are you looking for? 

Not 100% sure at the moment. At least 1.

DET, I have a couple ZISS BL-2 breeder boxers.  Fancy with all the bells and whistles, looks great.  I have rimmed tanks so I have to use the suction cups, but they work well and I've had no issues.  For your sexy setups, I think these might be the way to go.

I was thinking of the same idea...

These for 2 for 55? on ebay, from Korea...  is the only place I can find selling them.  Can anyone get the BL-3 for a good price?

I have a empty 100 gal tank I wanted to put like 15-20 in.  Make a pvc pipe drip system over the top.  I have a over top filter I am not using that would work.

But the opening on the top of my acrylic tank is only six inches wide...  But then, I have a screw together acclimation box I can assemble inside I am thinking about doing.  It's 10x8x8. 

13 minutes ago, turok said:

These for 2 for 55? on ebay, from Korea...  is the only place I can find selling them.  Can anyone get the BL-3 for a good price?

Nobody in the US carries them?

Does everyone prefer inside or outside breeder boxes? What is your reasoning?

Thank you!

The Ziss box is nicely made. I bought one awhile ago. The only thing is that it's too big for my tanks. I have mostly 10g tanks set up and some 20L tanks. For selective breeding I prefer the small Marina HOB style boxes. They're cheaper, take up less room and effectively serve their purpose. The shrimp can't tell the difference. That's my 2 cents. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, DETAquarium said:

Does everyone prefer inside or outside breeder boxes? What is your reasoning?

Thank you!

Over the years I have preferred outside boxes. Doesn't take up any space inside the tank, easier to maintain and have better access to your fish or shrimp in the breeder box. Inside boxes can make maintenance in your tank more difficult and catching fish or shrimp is harder with an inside box.

I have a large Marina breeder box on the back of my tank 20L which I leave going 24/7.  I put a thin layer of substrate on the bottom and a nice piece of willow moss.  One of Mayfly's pseudo taibees likes it so much he has managed to climb into it 3-4 times now...

Since I have it behind the tank you don't even notice it, keeping the main tank clutter free.  It adds like 1.5 gallons of extra water capacity.  

I was going to buy a Ziss but Discobee sold out and the larger Marina breeder box was ~$14.00 on Amazon so I said why not.  

You might prefer the Finnex with a pump as I know your tanks do not have air driven filters.

36 minutes ago, Pescador said:

I have a large Marina breeder box on the back of my tank 20L which I leave going 24/7.  I put a thin layer of substrate on the bottom and a nice piece of willow moss.  One of Mayfly's pseudo taibees likes it so much he has managed to climb into it 3-4 times now...

Since I have it behind the tank you don't even notice it, keeping the main tank clutter free.  It adds like 1.5 gallons of extra water capacity.  

I was going to buy a Ziss but Discobee sold out and the larger Marina breeder box was ~$14.00 on Amazon so I said why not.  

You might prefer the Finnex with a pump as I know your tanks do not have air driven filters.

I wonder what Mayphly is feeding his shrimps. They are notorious for escaping. Smart sneaky little buggers.

• 1 month later...

Hey ShrimpSpot!

So I finally got around and received a couple of the Ziss BL-2 Breeder Boxes. I didn't see any instructions, but I think I threw it together fairly easy with one exception. What drives the suction for the air stone? I would assume it uses the same technique as the Choice/NAG Bubblers, but there is nothing to siphon the air through the air valve.

Maybe I am missing the point completely. Someone fill the in the blanks for me. Outside of that looks like a nice box,

Thanks all!

DETAquarium

1 hour ago, DETAquarium said:

Hey ShrimpSpot!

So I finally got around and received a couple of the Ziss BL-2 Breeder Boxes. I didn't see any instructions, but I think I threw it together fairly easy with one exception. What drives the suction for the air stone? I would assume it uses the same technique as the Choice/NAG Bubblers, but there is nothing to siphon the air through the air valve.

Maybe I am missing the point completely. Someone fill the in the blanks for me. Outside of that looks like a nice box,

Thanks all!

DETAquarium

Not sure I understand the question....I believe it pulls water in from outside the box if I remember right.

Not quite sure if it is an airstone or what it is that comes with the Ziss Breeder boxes. The Choice bubblers use a similar technique where it uses the outflow to pull air through the airline tubing at a rate of bubbles you can control to disperse bubbles into the aquarium. I thought it was the same thing that the Ziss breeder box comes with, but I am assuming I am wrong? I really have no clue as the air stone and tubing wouldn't have any siphon to create the bubbles as the bubblers do.

That make sense now?

That explains it then. Its a small piece of airline tubing, one end if the airstone, the other is an adjustment knob, doesn't make sense to me.

If I understand from the picture on the box, it looks like an airstone that creates bubbles, it looks like it does not do a water exchange from the tank the box. The mesh allows for the box water to be the same as the tank water... like bostoneric said. the knob is just to control the amount of bubbles you want in that box...

This is different from an external box because the marina box siphones tank water into the box and then returns water from the box back into the tank - where as the ziss just sits inside the aquarium with an airstone for watermovement/oxygen

I am assuming you connect another piece of airline tubing to the adjustment side, then run that to the pump?