New love..New obsessions..and keeping them healthy!

Tannin Aquatics

So I recently obtained my first pair of Apistogramma!

MY FIRST PAIR! After a lifetime in the hobby...I can't believe that I just never got around to trying these fish before. They are absolutely...intoxicating. I mean, I can't get enough of them. They have amazing personalities, beautiful colors, and are near perfect fishes for my South American-themed environment! I completely understand the obsession-inducing quality of these fish.

11836810_481862748642350_296912986086470

Before that, it was the Yellow Assessor (Assessor flavissimus) from the South Pacific. Before that, it was Centropyge hotumatua, the "Easter Island Pygmy Angelfish", then the "Sparkling Gourami", and the "Crystal Red Shrimp", and....

hotumatua2_large.jpg?5952567484914478214

And of course, there were Killifish. Specifically, the genus Epiplatys...and to be exact, Ep. dageti Monrovia, the "Killifish of my childhood." I fell hard for that fish, and it was one of the coolest fish I ever bred. Still love it to this day! 

What is it about the hobby that keeps making us try new things, even decades into our hobby careers? It's interesting to me; maybe we like to collect stuff, and trying new fishes appeals to some instinctive "hunter-gatherer" thing in our genes. Or, it could simply be that there is such an incredible diversity of fishes that we just can't help but want to try 'em all! Shrimp people are prime examples!

800px-Trichopsis_pumila_large.jpg?595256

Sometimes, I do wonder why certain people obsess with certain kinds of fishes. For example, for the longest time, I thought that he people when were into the big, predatory cichlids were missing a few screws! Then, I will spend some time with some obsessed hobbyists, see their aquariums, fish rooms, and systems devoted to these cool fish, and..I get it!

Parachromis_managuensis_2012_G1_large.jp

It's the same with Betta and Guppy people. They may have chosen to specialize with one type of fish, but most of them have multiple strains- or in the case of Betta enthusiasts- different species. I recently fell hard for Betta albimarginata and some of the other "wild type" species, so I get it. There is so much out there!

And what's really cool to me is the serious fish room of a hardcore fish geek! It's like Disneyland for fishes! And it seems like even the most ardent lover of say, African Cichlids or Rainbowfishes will still have a few random tanks devoted to totally unrelated species...And you'll ask these hobbyists why, and they'll tell you those beautiful words, "Because they're cool!"

setup2_large.jpg?1527859504474829752

Love that. And that mindset, by the way, has perpetuated the whole "multiple tank syndrome" thing- where we have 30-50 tank fish rooms...I couldn't love it more!

I spend a lot of time in the reef hobby world lecturing and writing about various topics. There are lots of amazingly talented, devoted hardcore reefers out there. But there is also what I feel is a "dark underbelly" of the reef aquarium world that, in my opinion, is a dark stain on a lot of the really  good stuff that's going on there.

goldrushmillemacro.jpgUC_large.jpg?15278

One of the more recent things that I've railed on (yeah, I don't feel good about it) is the Facebook "auction" pages for coral frags. I hate them because, in my opinion, it's created this ridiculous sub-trade for overpriced, photo-manipulated, microchip-sized coral frags of what typically are just subtle color variants of common coral species that can be had at almost any legitimate coral vendor (brick and mortar or online) for a fraction of the price without a stupid name and the accompanying ridiculous hype.

Why does the reef world embrace microchip-sized coral frags of so-called "rare" varieties (which means nothing- just that someone gave a common species a ridiculous name), hacked off the tips of "mother colonies" the size of legitimate frags themselves (like 1.5-2" in many cases!)? It's not that everyone selling coral frags at auction is a greedy, hype-mongering, photoshop-abusing perpetuator of absurdity. However, it's an attitude of craziness that sort of unofficially violates the "unwritten rules" of aquarium hobby "purity", if you will. Yeah, the "shadow economy" of the "auction frag trade" is, in my opinion, ruining the reef hobby, as it perpetuates absurdity. 

12346166_225931204404627_960551042_n_lar

This is not the same in other areas of the hobby. You simply don't see virally-hyped auctions for Plecos or say Mbuna or Lake Tanganyika "shellies", for example. Sure, you'll see some high prices for rarer varieties, but what you see mostly is people selling cool fishes that hey've bred, because they have too many of them- NOT because they're trying to make a ransom on an overpriced specimen. In fact, what I've found refreshingly cool about the freshwater auctions is that you find many times that the seller is almost sadly divesting him/herself of beloved fishes because he or she simply has no space! And of course, when a new fish comes along, they do mysteriously carve out room somewhere for them!

IMG_1823_large.JPG?2929004963485478507

The contrast of course, is that in the coral "auction frag trade", it's not really about love, IMHO. It's about chasing the almighty dollar and the craziness that goes with it. Look, plenty of reefers love to collect different corals and coral frags. That's part of the reeflkeeping game just like a FW fish and egg auction. No biggie. The difference is that the real collectors are being forced to pay ransom prices for what I feel are often vaguely distinguished "color morphs" or variations of relatively common corals, like Acropora tenuis, many of which can be enhanced with blue-flavored reef lighting or photo post production (saturation). And it causes a lot of confusion when the same coral is given 4 different absurd names by 4 different people. A sad standard that we've created for ourselves.

Anyways, my point here is not to bash the reef world (well, maybe kick it in the shins until it gets a bit more sense- I'm well known for doing that). The point was to celebrate the wonderful trait that all aquarium hobbyists share: The delight over trying new stuff, and to point out how easily it can be ruined by just a few people who don't seem to get it.

It's amazing to me that we can still find new delights in a hobby that we've been in all of our lives in many cases. It amazes me that many wonderful people generously share, trade, and outright give away fishes and corals that they're obsessed with- simply because they want others to enjoy them (and perhaps, to make room for more cool stuff!).

atahaulpa_pair_4_large.jpg?2929004963485

It's an honor to be a part of this wonderful hobby, and to be in the presence of a group of people who, despite occasionally needing a kick in the ass, overall are wonderful, talented geeks with a great love for what they do, and an appreciation for what they have.

Okay, need to get back to setting up that new tank...I'm going to get some killies...

No matter how your interests change or evolve: Stay honest. Stay obsessed. Stay generous.

And most important-

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman

Tannin Aquatics 

Glad you got some apisto's. Been doing cichlids for over 30 years and in my opinion are the perfect fish. You have intelligence, personality, unique breeding/parenting methods, specialized abilities and most can be kept by beginners. The African cichlids from the Rift valley are as beautiful as anything in the ocean.

2 hours ago, Vpier said:

Glad you got some apisto's. Been doing cichlids for over 30 years and in my opinion are the perfect fish. You have intelligence, personality, unique breeding/parenting methods, specialized abilities and most can be kept by beginners. The African cichlids from the Rift valley are as beautiful as anything in the ocean.

Yeah, cichlids and Plecos are so endearing to me...And the thing I like about shrimps is that, while they may not have distinct individual "personalities", they have a certain character that is irresistible, and the fun of working with lots of varieties appeals to that "breeder instinct" we have!

-Scott

Chasing the almighty $$....  Have seen this a lot in purebred dogs (along with mixes trying to pass as purebred).  Many years ago the pres. of a breed club advocated keeping prices high to weed out undesirable buyers (poor people?).  My reply that this only encouraged people to get into breeding to make money went right over her head.

3 hours ago, fishface said:

Chasing the almighty $$....  Have seen this a lot in purebred dogs (along with mixes trying to pass as purebred).  Many years ago the pres. of a breed club advocated keeping prices high to weed out undesirable buyers (poor people?).  My reply that this only encouraged people to get into breeding to make money went right over her head.

Welcome to the hobby of reef keeping, 2016 style...Unfortuantely, if you go out on Facebook and other social media, you'll see dozens of "vendors" (actually hobbyists) throwing out ridiculously small, highly photoshopped, absurdly expensive frags of relatively common corals..Give 'em a stupid name, make yourself a watermark, and suddenly, you're a "coral vendor" selling 1/4" frags from a 1' "Mother Colony"! Ruins it for everyone, IMHO, and makes the reef  hobby kind of a joke of late, if you ask me...I'm intimately familiar with that market and I can tell you it is damaging the reef hobby. I am pretty certain there is more wisdom and restraint in the FW world to overcome this hype-driven mess the reef hobby turned into...Deeper values, such as sharing, learning, and experimenting, seem to reside in this end of the hobby, and I'm glad!

Greed. It's unfortunate. The good news is that most people in the hobby aren't like that....and FW and shrimp worlds have yet to become overly contaminated with this thinking...