anyone use a box filter?

One of my LFS uses those in their tanks...I always seen fish get stuck inside of there and die (shrimp may not have a problem?).

I would rather use a sponge filter as it is a grazing source for shrimps.

Only thing I could see the box filter having a upper hand at, is that you have optional media options, so you could use finer filter floss, chemical filtration (activated carbon/charcoal, Purigen, etc) and other biological media.

But you could save your money just make a DIY filter/housing out of a soda bottle (I've done this plenty of times) Plenty of youtube videos on DIY filters out there.

No. I have a childhood aversion to those filters, from the family aquarium we had back in the '70s. It took up tank space and always seemed to be a pain to clean, always having to get into the tank to work on it. I prefer my HOBs and canisters. 

=^._.^=

The Lees box filters suck as filters, but are great as egg tumblers!!!

Just stick with a sponge. Or, if you really need chemical filtration, a tetra Xi (I've used the 3i and 10i) packed with purigen and a sponge over the intake.

http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-25846-Whisper-BioScrubber-3-Gallon/dp/B000HHQ712#

Basically a glorified soda bottle filter.

55 minutes ago, Aennedry said:

No. I have a childhood aversion to those filters, from the family aquarium we had back in the '70s. It took up tank space and always seemed to be a pain to clean, always having to get into the tank to work on it. I prefer my HOBs and canisters. 

=^._.^=

Flash back to the "not so good old days" of fish keeping.

6 hours ago, Aennedry said:

=^._.^=

Amen to that, same here

That was my first experience with the tank, must have been five or so. Parents got me my own tank years after they got rid of the first one... must have been nine or ten. I remember cleaning it while watching Grizzly Adams. Read everything available at the time... been keeping tanks on and off since. Nothing like having a lovely planted tank with fish and shrimp.

=^._.^=

3 hours ago, Aennedry said:

That was my first experience with the tank, must have been five or so. Parents got me my own tank years after they got rid of the first one... must have been nine or ten. I remember cleaning it while watching Grizzly Adams. Read everything available at the time... been keeping tanks on and off since. Nothing like having a lovely planted tank with fish and shrimp.

=^._.^=

I loved Grizzly Adams. I wonder how many millennials on this site is wondering "who the heck is Grizzly Adams" LOL!

2 minutes ago, chad590 said:

I wasnt even close to being thought of in the 70's... or 80's for that matter.. and have never seen one before! Seems like I've brought up some bad memories for some people.. sorry I asked!  (nice tip on the tumbler -- i see what you mean.)

Good memories. :thumbsu:

Things have changed a lot since then. All for the better, thankfully. Though you can no longer buy alligators in pet stores any more, I thought baby alligators were so cute when I was a child...

On 4/23/2016 at 11:57 AM, Aennedry said:

Things have changed a lot since then. All for the better, thankfully. Though you can no longer buy alligators in pet stores any more, I thought baby alligators were so cute when I was a child...

If you want one i have about 1000 less than a mile from me. Florida Fish and Wildlife has caught me dozens of times hunting without a gator license. They could care less as long as you don't leave a body for them to clean up.

Which reminds me.... its almost mating/hunting season :):):)