Hi Guy,

Was wondering what you guys prefer measuring your water parameters via tds or μS.

Can someone educated me on how to work with μS. A friend told me he just makes sure his tank is 250μS using SS Gh+ and doesn't check Gh or Kh coz it approx the recommended para for caridina's.

I also can't figure out how to maintain say 100 tds or 250μS.

Eg

the reading is higher than the above value you can drain and add ro water and reach it. But if it drops below eg. 60 tds or 190μS, how do I go about brining the parameters to match 100 tds or 250μS parameters again.

Thank you for your help in advance.

You start with RO water and add minerals to get to your desired parameters. once you add it to your tank then the measurements mean a lot less and other things in the tank are going to impact it and increase the TDS. I have always used tds because that is what I could test for. I got a tester that does tds and the other one but I haven't played with it much yet.

Will

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong but the real goal is to achieve the desired GH and KH by adding a mineralizer to your RO/DI water.  Once you know those two parameters are correct you then can measure your TDS to know that value then in the future you simply use TDS as it is a much easier and faster test.

Also once you know your desired TDS with only properly mineralized water you have a baseline to judge your water parameters as your tank ages and TDS increases.  The increases can be other minerals or organics which may or may not be harmful to shrimp, but it you can keep your TDS close to your desired range while maintaining the proper GH & KH then you know other elements have not accumulated in the water.

Hey Guys Sorry for no response was actually surprised that I didn't get any response, since i didn't get any notification email ( keeps happening with Tapatalk) and was searching online for more info and found something which I was about to post to be surprised that there are responses. Thank you [emoji4]

17 hours ago, Pescador said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the real goal is to achieve the desired GH and KH by adding a mineralizer to your RO/DI water.  Once you know those two parameters are correct you then can measure your TDS to know that value then in the future you simply use TDS as it is a much easier and faster test.

Also once you know your desired TDS with only properly mineralized water you have a baseline to judge your water parameters as your tank ages and TDS increases.  The increases can be other minerals or organics which may or may not be harmful to shrimp, but it you can keep your TDS close to your desired range while maintaining the proper GH & KH then you know other elements have not accumulated in the water.

bingo. I know if i'm in a range of TDS i'm in the range of GH i'm looking for.

On 28-4-2016 at 11:32 AM, fernselvis said:

6c701809c53fadb704027f3cebe97bef.jpg

Could this be accurate so if my tds is 170 then my Gh is 9.52.

No this aint accurate it is different in each aquarium.. if i calculate right i would have a gh of 

300x 0.5 = 150 ppm 150x0.056 = 8.4 gh..

If i measure my gh it displays that i have it between 4 and 5 ....