The saga of N. Guentheri...

Soothing Shrimp

try green water too. take an old pickle jar and fill it with water from the guppies when you do a water change and stick it out side with an air stone in the sun. you can also boil a lettus leaf and stick in there. it will take no time to become green water in the sun and its full of great stuff to feed the fry. just suck some up in an eye dropper and add to tank close to fry.

So woke up this morning and saw the BBS in the tank were dead and the water starting to cloud.  Still can't suction up the debris on the bottom because the fry are waaaay to small, so I did a 70% water change.  May do a 2nd one later today as well.

I hate to do so many water changes, but it looks as if that will have to be my routine until they get large enough I can transfer them over to another tank and vacuum the bottom of this one.

Gonna try making some green algae water conditions today so I can add that in the next day or two..

Everything is going swimmingly.  heh  See what I did there? :P

Anyway, I've got the hang of the hatching BBS, although I'm hatching too many and have to cut back since even all my var of fish can't eat 1 teaspoon's worth.  Maybe try 1/4 teaspoon.

Here's my recipe for hatching the BBS

1 to 1 1/2 liters RO water

2 tablespoons marine salt

dash of baking soda

Fry are a little larger- not large enough for my camera yet which is a bit frustrating, but nothing really to see anyway.  Color is non-existant yet.

Not much to report.  Most fry are eating BBS now, which is nice.  Haven't done a wc in a couple days.  I'm sure Nit. is building up in there, so will have to do one soon.

I have to say I'm sure this experience will be rewarding, but all this work with fry as big as a comma, has put me off from using this fish to selectively breed.

My plan is to go to guppies to selectively breed- but still want to see this project through to completion.

At some point I may try again, and just put the fry into a shrimp tank and see if I could do hands off. I still think that may work.

Don't know.  Don't think I'll be raising fleas. LOL  Actually, I don't know.  Now they may be, but not when firstborn.

They are big enough to eat baby rotifiers, I'm sure.  Which leads me to really want to try this shrimp tank raising.  And if any survive my bumbling fry raising, I may try again with a special shrimp tank set up just for them.

I have greenwater and some moina if you want to start a culture.

I may try that next time, Shrimpo. :)

---

Some fry are now almost as big as newborn guppies, while others are still small.  No doubt some may get eaten as the others grow larger.  Selection of the fittest, I'm sure.

Some breeders just dump the fry in green water after hatching.  Each water change the water gets lighter.  I wanted to see the fry grow, so I didn't do this.  BUT makes sense for a hands off approach.