Two deaths two days

Both deaths that I have found in the last two days were pewees. One golden and one crystal red. I just did a water change yesterday. And I tested my water today, my parameters are as follows

Ph 6.4

Gh 7

Kh 1

Tds 168

Ammonia 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates I am unsure of because when I test it on both my tanks it always reads 160ppm

I'm sure my nitrates test is no good so for the sake of argument let's day I have 0 nitrates because I have fluval clear max in my filter which absorbs nitrates. Another reason why I know my nitrate test is gone bonkers.

I have not done anything new to the tank added anything or even moved or changed anything, I do my water changes with pure ro water remineralized to 140, and top offs with pure ro water. Water changes are once weekly.

My tb tib goldens and juvi to adult crystals are unaffected, everyone is molting properly as I found 13 empty shell casings this morning. What in shrimp gods name is going on here.

How much water are you changing out weekly? I thought water changes should only be done when your water parameters start to become unstable. Sorry that you lost some little guys, hopefully its an isolated event.

Water changes should be done weekly regardless of water parameters. Your tds raises throughout the week from feeding and bio load. I change out 20% weekly.

I feed only when I notice they are not picking at bio film, so maybe once or twice a week. Usually I always have a leaf of some sort in there for a food plate.

As far as ammonia goes, anything under a ph of 7.0 ammonia is non toxic, non gas ammonia but ionized form of ammonia and therefore not harmful. My ammonia level is always at 0

Water changes should be done weekly regardless of water parameters. Your tds raises throughout the week from feeding and bio load. I change out 20% weekly.

I feed only when I notice they are not picking at bio film, so maybe once or twice a week. Usually I always have a leaf of some sort in there for a food plate.

As far as ammonia goes, anything under a ph of 7.0 ammonia is non toxic, non gas ammonia but ionized form of ammonia and therefore not harmful. My ammonia level is always at 0

sorry that i have to disagree with you ammonium is non toxic. It is not as toxic as ammonia.

This maybe subjective 0ppm ammonia is the only acceptable level once the tank has cycled. If you see it go above something is wrong be it over feeding , bacteria can keep up with bio load. As far as water changes if I test my water weekly and everything is with in my desired parameters, I would not do a water change weekly, I'd rather do 5% weekly 20% monthly. You wrote this "Nitrates I am unsure of because when I test it on both my tanks it always reads 160ppm" If your unsure of something that means you don't know. 10-20 ppm is maximum Nitrates you want be seeing in a shrimp tank form what I've read. I'm only trying to be helpful, I'm here to learn and help other's. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

I say I am unsure because my nitrate test has been giving me the same reading now for almost a year. I never calibrated it. But being as I have a nitrate absorber in the filter that is max 2 weeks old, as well as Buce and moss all over the tank the nitrate should be 0.

Water changes are subjective to each persons schedule and how they keep shrimp and fish. My water changes always coincide with eachother, water changes need to be done weekly though, think of this, through evaporation, water gains tds ss well as gh and kh. Shrimp poop, des integrating food, dead moss and leaves, powder foods all raise the tds and if your trying to keep it at a steady say 140 to 155 in my case weekly water changes are a necessity. Even doing top offs will only dilute the gh kh and tds to a point it won't return back to the parameters it was before the water evaporated.

I use a ten gallon. So tds raises fairly fast. Especially is

To summer time so even though I do daily top offs, I still need to do weekly water changes, aside from that we just had a thread about water changes and shrimp size.

If I had a 40breeder I wouldn't need to do weekly water changes but more over probably every two weeks.

I would definitely suggest finding a nitrate kit that works and getting a real level, or calibrating your current one. Moss and slow growing plants don't use much nitrogen, and you may have more nitrates than the absorbent can handle safely. If you don't know, it can't be ruled out as a cause. Maybe it's not 160 ppm, but it may have gone from 15 to 40. Maybe it's usually zero, and now it ticked up to 5, and a few of the weaker ones felt the change. Maybe it is zero and not a factor. But it could be anything right now, and you have no idea.

Yeah I understand, I'm old school when it comes to water changes on my prize tanks. When I was young and didn't know much I never did water changes (around ten years old) and wondered why my fish died. But as I got into high school and taking the science classes I started realizing water chemistry changes almost weekly due to evaporation etc. so I started my weekly water changes. Sure enough my fish survived.

As for a shrimp tank I believe weekly needs to be done in order to keep your tds in order.

I have an apisto breeding tank I set up last night I will be doing twice a week water changes on.