Going to make a shrimp rack! Advise and ideas are welcome!

I want to do a rack of shrimp tanks in the Fall. I think I want to divide my Taiwan Bees (Wine Red, Black Pandas, and BB). Then I want to keep some of my TB's with mayphly's tibees (I already got one berried!). Another tanks for Aura Blue Tigers and mischlinge shrimp. Plus any other shrimp/projects. For my rack I want to use Mr. Aqua 7.5g tanks (I have 4, plus going to buy 2 more) and what I already have: 5.5g, 5.5g Fluval and 3g Fluval Spec.

I was think to use HMF's but now I think I'll go with sponges because HMF takes some place in a tank and those 7.5g don't have that much place.

Also I need a new air pump. I don't think I need a very powerfull but good enough for all of those tanks. Also it must be quite! The rack will be inside our home and must be quite.

And I need the rack!;-) I asked DH to built me one but he said it's better to buy one from Home Depot. But which one? I think I want it to be 36 or 48" long. No more than 5'6" in heigh and 16 or 18"  width. And have a good capacity to hold all of the tanks. (Because it's going to be inside, it needs to be looking not too ugly too...)

Please, share your thoughts with me! Any ideas and criticism are welcome!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Gladiator-4-Shelf-60-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-18-in-D-Welded-Steel-Garage-Shelving-Unit-GARS604TEG/206688384

I currently use something similar to this. Same brand except the bigger one of it.

This should be perfect for you.

Air Pump, Alita is the best so far. Literally no noise unless your next to it. 

Thank you both!

I checked Alita yesterday (I searched our forum first and found out everyone recomends Alita) but it seems like for ponds or huge tanks. If my max is going to be 100g which Alita model should I get?

On 6/12/2016 at 6:32 PM, svetilda said:

Thank you both!

I checked Alita yesterday (I searched our forum first and found out everyone recomends Alita) but it seems like for ponds or huge tanks. If my max is going to be 100g which Alita model should I get?

If you are only running 100 gallons total, you can just get a few air pumps. I use the fusion brand from kens fish. I can get alot of use out of 2-3 of these pumps. I find it cost effective for small shrimp rack up to 100 gallons. The fusion airpump is also quiet. Alita is great but I would recommend that for a much larger tanks. (plus if you order $49 from kensfish.com its free shipping) 

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/fusion-500-air-pump.html

You will also need airline tubing, as well as gang valves to direct the air to your multiple tanks...

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-supplies/jw-accuair-3-gang-valve.html

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-supplies/deep-blue-clear-airline-tubing.html

Good Luck!

On 06/12/2016 at 4:48 PM, OMG Aquatics said:

AL-15 should be enough.

Thank you! I was thinking 6 will be enough. Now I need to look for 15.

3 hours ago, Vpier said:

If you have a costco membership check them out. At times they sell really good racks cheaper that anyone else.

Thank you very, Vpier! I was just last night going through shelves at HD and it never occur to me to check Costco! Yes, we do have the membership and checked online now and I already see cheaper prices! Something like this (but I don't like black) http://www.costco.com/TRINITY-4-Tier-Wire-Shelving-Rack-|-48"-x-18"-x-72"-|-NSF-|-Includes-Wheels-and-Liners-|-Black.product.100022433.html

1 hour ago, dazalea said:

If you are only running 100 gallons total, you can just get a few air pumps. I use the fusion brand from kens fish. I can get alot of use out of 2-3 of these pumps. I find it cost effective for small shrimp rack up to 100 gallons. The fusion airpump is also quiet. Alita is great but I would recommend that for a much larger tanks. (plus if you order $49 from kensfish.com its free shipping) 

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/fusion-500-air-pump.html

You will also need airline tubing, as well as gang valves to direct the air to your multiple tanks...

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-supplies/jw-accuair-3-gang-valve.html

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-supplies/deep-blue-clear-airline-tubing.html

Good Luck!

Thank you, dazalea! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the air pump(s) right now, But I think one quite air pump will produce lees noise than a few. And yes, thank you for the reminding about the tubing, valves, etc. I really will need to sit in September and write everything down. I have no idea now how I'm going to switch everything but good thing is at that time I only need to add 3 tanks and keep 3 exciting ones going. Just need to connect and organize everything at ones.

I have the AL-15, purchased from Ken's, in my bedroom, and for longest time, I had issues with too much noise. The pump isn't silent, but I would consider it very quiet. The noise issue I had was actually from all of the bubbles. The noise was so strong, even while bleeding off air through 2 of the outlets on the 12 outlet manifold. The increased air flow led to larger bubbles, which are much louder when they reach the surface. Tight fitting lids definitely help muffle the noise, but Marina breeder boxes don't agree with Aqueon versa tops when you hang them on the short side of the tank. The real tricks I've found are to use a diffuser for smaller bubbles, and a 90 degree elbow on your lift tubes. You have to line up the elbow with your tank's water level, either using a longer lift tube, or raising your sponge filter until until the elbow is at water level. Doing this also increases the directionality of the water flowing out of the air lift.  I use Jetlifters from Swiss Tropicals, and they do a great job of moving water quietly, though the ones they include with their sponge filters are too short.

Currently, I'm using my AL-15 to power 6 small tanks with (6) 4 inch sponge filters, (2) 3 inch sponge filters, 3 marina breeder boxes, and a DIY K1 Micro filter. I'm giving all of the filters as much air as they can take, yet I'm still bleeding off some air. I want to set up 3 more tanks soon, and I should have plenty of air for that.

I'm working on silencing all of the bubbles with better fitting lids and air lift tubes. The air pump could be quieter, so I'm thinking partially enclosing it in a box lined with sound proofing foam. At it's current noise level, I do turn up the volume when the tv or music is on, but I love the white noise when I sleep.

I'm liking the 48 inch wide wire shelves from Seville Classics. The wires make it easy to arrange airlines, and to hang lights, fans, and tools. I like the Lights of America LED shop lights. The light is very directional, and the reflectors are sturdy. They hang on S hooks, and are easy to slide out of the way. I lined the shelves with rigid foam R-tech insulation. You could also use some plywood too. I wouldn't put anything bigger than a 10 on the shelf, well maybe a 20 long with plywood underneath. I'm gonna secure the shelves to each other, hopefully stabilize everything in case of an earthquake.

Excuse the mess. I'm in the process of shifting everything around. Tanks on the left, and plants on the right?

27164609643_70a4f5b9a0_z.jpg

The tank on the far left. It's a 5 gallon tank that is still empty, aside from some snails. It's for Opae Ula, The video is to show the flow of water, and filter placement. The tank next to this one has an airlift tube that is too short. I will probably have to dial down the air, or redirect the filter once the shrimp get here.

Take your time setting everything up. I would even suggest setting up all the tanks and equipment on the rack without water first if you can. Don't put tanks too low like on my shelf on the right, it's harder to siphon water. Leave as much clearance above the tanks as you can to help ease tank maintenance. It's not fun to move filled tanks, or adjust shelves once things are moved in.

I had some issues here with my tap water being too pure. The shrimp suffered because the tds level in the tanks were in the 40s. I bought some remineralizer, and I'm hoping for a good recovery. My next tank will be for your extra pandas and mischlings. I'm glad I held off on getting them.

Firs you have to decide how many tanks you relay like to have,or how many species you like to keep.

Then pick the right shelf,air pump,lighting,filtration etc.

In my experience WC and maintaining steady parameters are the hardest and most time consuming part. You can go with sponge filters only or with one  filtration system for all the tanks.

Noise and humidity are big problems too.I don't want to live in the room with the noise and humidity of my shrimp room.

I have rack of 4x20gal with one filtration,rack with 4x20gal devided by 2 section each with separate filtration and sponge filters. Some 50gal  tanks divided on 4 sections with sponges and canister filters.

The first setup take 3-times less time to maintain and produce the most shrimps. Reason : combined it is 80gal - very steady parameters.

Firs you have to decide how many tanks you relay like to have,or how many species you like to keep.

Then pick the right shelf,air pump,lighting,filtration etc.

In my experience WC and maintaining steady parameters are the hardest and most time consuming part. You can go with sponge filters only or with one  filtration system for all the tanks.

Noise and humidity are big problems too.I don't want to live in the room with the noise and humidity of my shrimp room.

I have rack of 4x20gal with one filtration,rack with 4x20gal devided by 2 section each with separate filtration and sponge filters. Some 50gal  tanks divided on 4 sections with sponges and canister filters.

The first setup take 3-times less time to maintain and produce the most shrimps. Reason : combined it is 80gal - very steady parameters.

I would very much like to see a schematic or some pics on how you set up the 80g system, plamski. Would you care to share with us?

• 1 month later...

Thank you, everyone!

I'm still in the process. Looks like I bought everything I need (a rack from Costco - 800lbs per shelf, shop lighst from Costco - are they good?, alita-6A - OMG! I didn't know it so big and heavy!, sponge filters, some air tubing and valves, and suction cups, etc.) Right now I'm still cleaning my tanks after they were abandoned for 2 months and transfering one of my tanks (with original TB's and fire reds), so no time to start the project but I'll do it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Plamski!

Yes, I'll cover the tanks. I hope DH will make 2 covers tomorrow. But for now the middle tank on the lower shelf is empty and one on the right side has only 2 black pandas in it.

14 hours ago, svetilda said:

Thank you, dazalea! I hope I can change all of my tanks to the rimless 7.5g one day. (BTW, do you have more mulberry leaves?)

Very nice Svetilda, will look awesome, and already looks awesome as it is. I am sold out of Mulberry leaves right now, Just drying my last batch of the year! :)