My Twinstar Shrimp Log

Okay, Okay....  I know that over and over again we hear the Twinstar Products are overpriced and do not make any difference.  I really believe you guys, but I am stubrin.  I went ahead and spent my money and got one.  I swear I will buy almost anything with the word shrimp on it.

Here is the first Video with it newly installed

Not sure how appropriate the posts are Nuri, I think River Garden Nursery is trying to show us in an experiment to conclude an outcome. Unless someone does an experiment or knows the science behind the product through education, we shouldn't jump to conclusions that aren't backed up.

We always like to share our two cents, but just saying:  "That twinstar crap is the same as paying me coming every night to sing a song so the shrimps will sleep well and get strong the next morning" doesn't help anyone in anyway.

5 minutes ago, DETAquarium said:

Not sure how appropriate the posts are Nuri, I think River Garden Nursery is trying to show us in an experiment to conclude an outcome. Unless someone does an experiment or knows the science behind the product through education, we shouldn't jump to conclusions that aren't backed up.

We always like to share our two cents, but just saying:  "That twinstar crap is the same as paying me coming every night to sing a song so the shrimps will sleep well and get strong the next morning" doesn't help anyone in anyway.

Just making my point/truth clear... 

But ok will edit everything like you would haf wanted.

13 minutes ago, DETAquarium said:

Unless someone does an experiment or knows the science behind the product through education, we shouldn't jump to conclusions that aren't backed up.

At my second comment i literally gave what twinstar is supossed to do/work and why it does NOT work.. 

This is just electrolysis of water. The small electric current breaks down water into 2H2 and O2.

When twinstar is kept running while the tank has excess O2, they can combine with H2 to create hydrogen peroxide tho only in small amount. I believe this is why twinstar is said to prevent some types of algae.

So yeah... Twinstar does work in a way but its way cheaper to just dose a small amount of food grade peroxide.

I had said that there are 2 fillings 1 for algea and 1 for reducing the amount of pathogens IN WATER.

So i explained why it does not help with pathogens. I will now keep it short. 

1. The amount of pathogens in water will not be able to harm the shrimp IF your water quality is good! It only kills pathogens in water (So no need to use it)

2. So this product will not improve your shrimp because you keep them in bad water quality with a product that reduce the pathogens in the water.. the shrimp still remains in bad water!

3. It aint proved that it actually works

4.  If you really want to improve your shrimps keep the water quality good and FEED glasgarten betaglucan.. kosts around 10 bucks and IT is WAAAAAAAAY better then that twincrap. Betaglucan really improves the imunesystem.

And i said with the filling for algea..

"And with the algea, nah i bet everybody knows that there is a better and cheaper solution then paying 70 bucks"

Btw: i also said look at the top breeders... 

For example breeders in china (best breeders are there lol) what do you.see in their tank and what tools they use..

None of these expensive useless products.

Twinstar is 1 of so many products made with no/barely effect to earn money from breeders..

Nuri, I agree with your points--that there are cheaper and more cost effective means to produce a healthy and pathogen-free environment for our shrimp, that the Twinstar technology has not been proven, that the right balance of lighting and CO2/Excel supplementation will eliminate the need for any algae-controlling products-- and I will not advocate to do otherwise. The essence of your argument is strong and helpful to the discerning hobbyist interested in these products. But I disagree with the manner of your argument.

Rivergardennursey and DETAquarium have taken the time, effort, and money to give their honest reviews of the product. DETAquarium, through his generous YouTube videos, has inspired many new people to join our hobby, and gave the rest of us useful tips, advice, and product reviews. Using negative words to describe the products imparts some negativity towards the people who actually bought them, and turns away readers to this forum. Let's not be like the other forums out there, where toxic comments pollute them, and make people turn away for good. We've all noticed a drop in activity since this forum was established. This can be due to a variety of factors, but a part of me believes that negativity has a part to play in retaining the members we already have. Let's make people excited to post on here again, and continue to build on our community and build up our members here at The Shrimp Spot.

@Fishprinceofca 

Ok sorry...

It is just i learned from my community to be rough so that he understands it in 1 time and not say it polite 1000x over again. 

Same with me when i just got into the hobby (learned from the rough way) 

It is just a manner learned to me so that you will understand it in once and not lose expensive shrimps.

16 hours ago, nuri said:

At my second comment i literally gave what twinstar is supossed to do/work and why it does NOT work.. 

I know what Twinstar is supposed to do and how it works.  I know adding Hydrogen Peroxide should have the same effect.  I just wanted to try the product and see.  I do like that it is a "set it and forget it" product.  I think the money is all in the little controller.  I like convenience and thought I would try it.  I am just glad to see nothing is dying :)

All this is just for fun.  I am not trying to sell it or anyone on it

15 hours ago, Kakarot said:

This is just electrolysis of water. The small electric current breaks down water into 2H2 and O2.

When twinstar is kept running while the tank has excess O2, they can combine with H2 to create hydrogen peroxide tho only in small amount. I believe this is why twinstar is said to prevent some types of algae.

So yeah... Twinstar does work in a way but its way cheaper to just dose a small amount of food grade peroxide.

Agreed.  I just like it all automated for me. 

7 hours ago, nuri said:

I had said that there are 2 fillings 1 for algea and 1 for reducing the amount of pathogens IN WATER.

So i explained why it does not help with pathogens. I will now keep it short. 

1. The amount of pathogens in water will not be able to harm the shrimp IF your water quality is good! It only kills pathogens in water (So no need to use it)

2. So this product will not improve your shrimp because you keep them in bad water quality with a product that reduce the pathogens in the water.. the shrimp still remains in bad water!

3. It aint proved that it actually works

4.  If you really want to improve your shrimps keep the water quality good and FEED glasgarten betaglucan.. kosts around 10 bucks and IT is WAAAAAAAAY better then that twincrap. Betaglucan really improves the imunesystem.

And i said with the filling for algea..

"And with the algea, nah i bet everybody knows that there is a better and cheaper solution then paying 70 bucks"

Thanks for this information.  Good stuff.  I am just playing with it and having fun.  I also agree that no product will help if you do not keep good water

Just wanted to add my .02

I truly do welcome all the feedback, and I am not worried about anything negative, that is part of an experiment.  A few points I thought I would throw out

1. I have done a lot of research and knew going into this that a lot of people did not find the product useful and highly overpriced

2. I know about the DYI methods that Twinstar is trying to duplicate, however a lot of people will pay extra for something automated as a one stop shop product, the set it and forget it model.  A lot of shrimp owners are not 100% hardcore and are just causal shrimp keepers, sometimes packaged automated products are helpful for that crowd

3. I have had side business for a very long time and I can tell you the majority of people (in the US), want convince.  When I sold pond products, they wanted the whole kit all ready assembled or priced as one, not to research best of breed products and acquire them individually.  Aquariums... most beginners want an all in one to start out with, not try and by x-filter from here and x-light from there and x-supstrate from over there, and research everything how it all works

4. I am also leery of just relying on other peoples opinions, when they have not used or tested the product and only patriot what others have said, without any test themselves (i know DET has tried the product and enjoyed his review)

5. I am a little surprised about how strongly people feel about wasting money.  Money is all relevant.  If you bought or had 50+ PRL MK-Breed shrimp  (worth about 40.00 each) in a custom tank, I would think 70.00 is nothing.

6. I am not selling this product or trying to convince anyone to buy this product, I just thought it would be a fun little test, and the 70.00 did not bother me

All this said, I will continue to post updates.  Again just having fun and I do enjoy the reduction in my string Algae.  This shrimp tank is at my office, so I did not want to reduce the about of time I had the lights on, and I was not seeing any impressive results with Hydrogen Peroxide dosing.  I still have no idea if my shrimp will reproduce more or stay any healthier, but for 70.00 to set it and forget it, so far so good

Only reason breeders done use this is because they have to many tanks and it is too pricey. 

Electrolysis is sometimes used to disinfect our tap water or even bottled water. So given that twinstar does the same thing, it should work in a way that it kills and prevent algae and harmful pathogens.  

Nothing in this hobby is a must have.. Except for maybe remineralizers. It's just a matter of if you have money to spend or not.

1 hour ago, Stitch said:

Only reason breeders done use this is because they have to many tanks and it is too pricey. 

Electrolysis is sometimes used to disinfect our tap water or even bottled water. So given that twinstar does the same thing, it should work in a way that it kills and prevent algae and harmful pathogens.  

Nothing in this hobby is a must have.. Except for maybe remineralizers. It's just a matter of if you have money to spend or not.

I kinda hope the product is not all that great.  I am currently running 8 20gl Longs and my little desktop unit of pure shrimp tanks.  That would put a hit in the wallet, if the product was stellar

41 minutes ago, nuri said:

That product is indeed a total rip off..

Look at youtube "diy twinstar "

Whaha you can make one for 8 bucks with exactly the same function

Almost everything can be done cheaper as a DYI.  All glass tank, is way cheaper to buy the glass and silicone it together yourself.  Most people want something that looks nice and you can just buy and have it work.  The DYI Twinstar looks like it would work great.  I am not sure how many people want a battery with wire leads hanging in and out of a display tank though.  The twinstar is setup to work on and off without any human intervention, to the correct amounts. 

Again i am not saying the twinstar is great or it is not.  Just showing what it looks like in my tank, and pointing out that a lot of people are willing to pay for convenience and looks. 

So an update....

I can 100% confirm that the Twinstar Shrimp product will get people's blood boiling, upset people and open discussions on the value of money and convenience.  Mine happens to help with string algae also.  Still not sure about the shrimp, but I do have 2 berried.  Could be the full moon or just coincidence, who knows