Killi eggs???

Subtletanks91

Maybe some one on here can shed some light on this, tpt has left me answer less lol.

So I'm interested in getting some killifish eggs and raising them. But I have a few questions.

How do you store the un used eggs and how long do they last?

How do you go about hatching them and raising them in a community tank?

What are the uncommon species?

What killifish that are uncommon stay 2" but no less than 1" long?

I'm hoping someone on here can help me. I know Bryce I think has ordered some.

Indeed I have.  The types of egg hatching depends on the type of killie.  Annuals need the drying out period, and some can go as long as 6 months.

Other types of killes are live bearers, and still others are as simple as spawning mops and hatching.

The babies are so small that almost any fish will eat then, so they have to be grown separately.

Still doing my homework on them.

Yea depends on the type, some also won't hatch unless in moss. Really all types, mine are live. Still not getting them to hatch still working on mine lol

-Chris

I love killifish been studying them for years. When I have the time I'd love to get in to them. I wonder if there mono cryptic? Meaning they have a fossil record.

So as easy as it sound its not so easy lol.

what are the more uncommon types

a lot are easy they are like anything the uncommon ones are harder. the national kilifish competition was in my town last month. And you guys think we're obsessed? they took it to a whole new level lol. some very expensive kilis at the auction.

-Chris

I could understand that. If just say pit bulls were rare compared to labs, pits would sell for easily four times the amount a lab would.

Same with fish. My co worker thought I was nuts or lieing when I told her that some plecos go for a couple hundred reaching into a thousand each. And she thought bn were expensive, but she has Jo idea of the lengths people go through to achieve breeding them, how rare and uncommon they are even if there ungly.

What are you favorites killies?

I know which is very interesting, and surprisingly. Video of his fish room, showed more than 10-15 species with just number and no names. He is I think 64/65 right about now. And I believe is working on a book,

I know I will buy it. I want to start building a library of books but I don't want the new era ones I want the old school ones, where the fish were first described, and the. The book generation after that as well which should be books ranged from 1905-1999. But trying to find them is agrevating.

• 2 weeks later...