Nerite snails

People call nerites different names, can you post some photos. I know the horned nerites are great for glass. But olive could be one of two I think, a green yellow color with spots, or a darker marooning with spots. I've heard them both called olive,

hmmm I'll take some pictures of mine later for you.

As I said in previous posts they do lay the most eggs but the egg laying slows down after a while. Not really sure why. 

Oh, I also have red lips. They do a  lot of cleaning on the  driftwood and on filters, pumps, etc

post-131-0-44347600-1403480986_thumb.jpg

Olive

post-131-0-05464900-1403481007_thumb.jpg

Another shade of olive

post-131-0-34676900-1403481030_thumb.jpg

a pond snail that won't stop growing...

post-131-0-32504200-1403481059_thumb.jpg

Rabbit snail :D

post-131-0-01079900-1403481077_thumb.jpg

red lip

sorry this thread was supposed to be about nerites only  :D

I just have this snail-obsession-problem.

• 2 weeks later...

The proper olive is native to Africa as far as the www is concerned and apparently can not be bred in captivity any truth to this?

Most of us use the Nerite for freshwater tanks. While they will lay eggs in freshwater, either they will not hatch or won't survive for long. They need saltwater.

Do you know of any successful breeding attempts? I would like to know the method because if I could get my hands on some locals I fully intend breeding them myself.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Hehehe the last clip is indeed relaxing in the strangest of ways.But he sure does make a meal of that algae on the leaf.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have tips on water parameters for nerites? A little more than a year ago, I got four, a zebra and three red with black tire track markings. One by one, they passed away over the next twelve months. They appeared active and healthy, up until the point that I found empty shells.

Tank is dechlorinated tap: pH 7.8, KH 7, GH 8, temperature either 68-76 F or 76-78 F depending on whether they were vacationing with the betta to clean her tank.

I did see on one website that the average lifespan is only 1.5-2 years. Could they simply have died of old age?

• 4 weeks later...