Newish to shrimp/longtime fish keeper!

TropicalAquarist

Hey everyone!

Been lurking for a while and decided to post. DETAquarium gave a talk at my local aquarium club a while back and recommended this forum, and I decided to join.

I'm a full time college student and have been fish keeping for 8 years and started with shrimp in January. I currently run 17 aquariums, 9 with shrimp. I keep and breed various fish (Apistogramma species, German Blue Rams, Black Moscow Guppies, Corydoras, and Endlers), and have been doing more and more tanks with shrimp.

I have breeding colonies of Blue Dreams, Red Rilis, Sunkist, Cherries, Black Rose, Chocolates, and recently started with CRS. Looking into getting some more difficult varietys

There's very little local interest, and LFS will only give me ~$1.50 on high grade shrimp which is not worth it, so am considering shipping and selling here...

All the acronyms are still killings me!

Got a few questions:

Are Taiwan bees, Tiger shrimp (OEBT), pandas, blue bolts, CRS, all the same species? Just different color/genes/selective breeding?

Are any of the above harder to keep than CRS?

What does Pure red line mean?

Why do people prefer CRS/CBS with the least amount of color? To me the ones with equal striping of red and white look much nicer!

Looking forward to joining the community!

Welcome!!!! I know some answers to these. There's a list of acronyms somewhere on here for you to look at if u want :). Those are all Caridina, but not the same with different colors. Tiger shrimp are their own kind of Caridina, etc. PRL means the line is pure like it wasnt tampered with golden bee and usually visible with intense red and white coloration. There are also PBL (Pure black Line). and People prefer all grades of CRS/CBS honestly. I think the ones with a ton of white are beautiful because the red/black is so controlled and very artsy, but I also love the lower grades that are mostly red. Those are pretty rare to find for sale. There is also SRC (Super Red Crystal) similar to lower grade CRS but they have more opaque red

Welcome TropicalAquarist! We're glad to have you.

Tigers (including oebt) are Caridina mariae. The exception is called Caridina serrata, which include aura blue (ABT), tangerine tiger (TT), and green apple tigers, as well as a reddish variation.
Caridina cantonensis (logemanii) includes Crystals, Taiwan bees (TB), and their hybrids.
[emoji1303]
I agree. I'm also a fan of the solid striped Crystals(A or S grade), but everyone has their preference.

2 minutes ago, Mr. F said:

Welcome TropicalAquarist! We're glad to have you.

Tigers (including oebt) are Caridina mariae. The exception is called Caridina serrata, which include aura blue (ABT), tangerine tiger (TT), and green apple tigers, as well as a reddish variation.
Caridina cantonensis (logemanii) includes Crystals, Taiwan bees (TB), and their hybrids.
emoji1303.png
I agree. I'm also a fan of the solid striped Crystals(A or S grade), but everyone has their preference.

so wise so knowledgeable :bow:

Also PRL or PBL are gonna be a bit more sensitive as far as parameters go, but people prefer them because they rarely throw any culls and they have been bred for generations with known genetics. If you wanna try crystals, try to get some home bred, not imported. Also mischling (Crystal x TB) are a good place to start with Caridina.

Welcome TropicalAquarist! We are glad to have you, I am happy to see you found the forum!! If you still have questions I am always available as well, but I think you will find a plethora of knowledge on this site.

Welcome!  Think of breeding as a game.  The game with crs for quite a while was to have more and more white coverage since the wild type has hardly any.  That's also whythose with more white were more expensive.  More work, more time selective breeding.

I tell anyone going into shrimp, don't worry about what the majority collect.  Fads come and go.  Instead, make your goal to have shrimp that you are attracted to and enjoy.

Thanks for the help!
Interesting, I didn't realize there were different species.

I actually already have a CRS colony going, got a complete set up over Craigslist and have been too scared to change anything! They are thriving, babies everywhere so I must be doing something right. So far all the shrimplets already have the candy cane coloration, so maybe are PRL? Might have to wait it out a few generations...

I'll definitely look into getting mischlings next!

@SoothingShrimp,
That makes sense about the white on CRS/CBS!