Reason the forum was down

OblongShrimp

The forum was offline most of Wednesday because we had gone over our disk space. We current are using 8.8gigs of space and only had 8gigs on the current plan.  I upgraded the plan to the next level but that costs an extra $35/mo and only gets us 12gigs.  I am open to some ideas on how to control the amount of space we are using.  Most of it is uploaded photos.  I am asking that everyone who uploads photos please start reducing the sizes of the photos you upload as much as you can.  I am likely going to have to put limits on the upload sizes again so we don't run into this problem again in another couple months. 

I also want to add:

If you are a member wanting to contribute or do even more for this forum, please consider looking at becoming a "Supporting Member". If you click on "Store" at the top of the page you will see there are three different levels. Consider it, contribute if you can, and remember how much it helps us all continue to grow our beloved hobby.

Thank you all!!

that's convenient.:P

either get a cheap,but good web server, like hostgator and code it to host the pictures there.

or 

move your sites to another provider.

8GB is pretty stingy and $35/mo to get 4GB more is ridiculous.

it was years ago that prices of hard drives went down and capacity went up....

8GB limit looks like a reseller.

The forum is hosted by invisionpower (company that develops the ipboard forum software)  who also takes care of updates and problems that arise.  Additionally it covers the cost of the forum software which you have to purchase if you host on your own server. 

2 hours ago, OblongShrimp said:

The forum is hosted by invisionpower (company that develops the ipboard forum software)  who also takes care of updates and problems that arise.  Additionally it covers the cost of the forum software which you have to purchase if you host on your own server. 

well,you do the math...

so,70 bucks a month now?

$840 a year.

shared server and a leased software license for a year would be a lot less.

it's up to you.

people that use a service like that want it hassle free and they pay for it.

if your happy with it,if you don't use another server to host images your costs will just go up,unless you disable image uploads,or purge images x old.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1817-post-your-shrimp-pics/

how much space does that thread use up? :ass:

Sponsors are every 6 months and the others are annual. 

ok so I have put some limits on the upload size of photos.  The photo above was originally 5mb and 5312x2988 and was resized to about 1000x750 which is the new size limit (this was previously the display limit so the photos would show up this size but previously you could click and view the full size).  This photo is now only 84kb so this should help a lot with some of the storage problems.

ok so I have put some limits on the upload size of photos.  The photo above was originally 5mb and 5312x2988 and was resized to about 1000x750 which is the new size limit (this was previously the display limit so the photos would show up this size but previously you could click and view the full size).  This photo is now only 84kb so this should help a lot with some of the storage problems.

There are batch programs for reducing images. Does your hosting service give you access to the OS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run a forum myself (minnfish.com), and I have to say that I love this forum's capabilities. Much nicer than the standard, do it yourself forum stuff like phpbb, which is what we use. But, server space is pricey. Cutting image size should help. We have ours set even lower. 700px wide, I think. 

But, I feel your pain. More people are jumping to Facebook due to the easy image handling, but you lose a ton when you go to FB, in my opinion. 

Do images hosted on other sites count towards the total cap on disk space? If everyone hosted on a site such as Imgur and then used the img] method that should cut down on the issue. 

This shouldn't count and is probably a good idea/best practice to follow, though the downside is that it's a little unwieldy requiring jumping to another site and not as seamless in terms of user experience.

Is it possible to offload image hosting to Amazon's S3 and CloudFront or similar? My guess is not because the current hosting is a forum as a service, but if we could, it would be laughably cheaper. For example, it would cost only 3 cents to store 1000 GB per month on S3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many options to reduce bandwidth, look into using cloudflare as it's free and gives users a cached version of page on the forum so it doesn't use any of your hosts bandwidth(reduces it).

Or buy a forum plugin that reduces image sizes before they get uploaded here, failing that a plugin that uploads the attachment directly to imgur etc.

I use these on my forum and it works great, cloudflare alone saves me 2gb a month and I only have a small Opae ula shrimp forum :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So it looks like I can use Amazons S3 for storage.  I will get this set up in the next couple weeks as I find the time.  Thank you all for your suggestions!

So it looks like I can use Amazons S3 for storage.  I will get this set up in the next couple weeks as I find the time.  Thank you all for your suggestions!

Is it possible to use Amazon CloudFront along with it? Without it, images may load slowly. CloudFront is a CDN which makes copies of images throughout the world so any given user will access the closest node, significantly reducing load times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched over to using Amazon S3 this morning.  The photo links will likely be broken for a while as the data migrates over to Amazons servers.

I think I have seen other posts about people using CloudFront with IPBoard so if the photos are loading slowly I will look into it more, the IPBoard support said that we shouldn't notice a speed difference.