Feather Rocks in Shrimp Tank

Hungle64

Have anybody using feather rocks in shrimp tank? Please give me the Pro and the Con that would be appreciated.

I do alot of miniature mountains carving using feather rocks so i am thinking if i can use in the tank that would be awesome!

Want to hear you input on this.

I have used it to make waterfalls in frog tanks. The fizz test will let you know for sure if its safe to use. Will it alter ph/kh? idk maybe test in in a small tank. I do believe it's a type of puffed volcanic rock, it would be awesome if they where safe to use because the surface area for is very large both inside and out side for nitrifying bacteria to grow. it's really porous so it may fizz up as air escapes. This stone floats so take that in to account so you may have to make some holes to get it to sink.

Just want to know if someone has experience in using it. Would be awesome if it turn out positive because i carve out my dream hardscape out of feather rocks.

High5's

I don't have to worry about floating since i am going to have a lot of holes on them.

Wicca32

Yes i will personally going to do a small tank with them and test it.

Do you have a photo of the feather rocks? I have never heard of them before.

Ah there we go, that looks to be an igneous rock associated with pumice.

http://www.featherock.com

Countryboy: unfortunately, the aquarium industry seems to refuse to call rocks by there proper names they have given lime stone alone at least 5 different name. I believe this is due to most people day not to use it in aquariums.

I used a spoon and screw driver. Wet it a lil and carve away, gloves are a must safety glasses too. This stuff will cut you treat it with caution.

As i mentioned earlier that i had been working in carving miniature mountain, so i use rock carving chisels which give me control of detail.

Soothing,

It is easy but little more resistance than Styrofoam.

Just a picture of carving miniature mountain

This is the feather rock you speak of? how much time?

-Chris

Wow, the bacteria space would be great to have. Talk about a dual purpose!

You can not tell it is feather rock because water base color was used to give highlights and shadows for illusion of rock layers. It is consisting of 3 major pieces. It is actually made by a friend. When we do bonsai and miniature mountain is hard to keep track of time. Also we normally don't finish it in one session but i would estimate working in leisure of about 2 to 3 days. I taught him but he ended up making more creations than I...LOL....

Thats really awsome hungle I might halft to give it a whirl....

Hey give it a try. You might find yourself another addiction. LOL

Just kidding however it is a great way to teach us how to be creative.