supplements for molting

I would like to hear what others use in their tanks as an additive to help with molting. Whether it is certain foods, rocks, etc.

Please post what you use in detail (full product name, feedings per week, etc)

I am in the market for some additives which is why I'm posting this so help a brotha out ;)

I am a firm believer in water changes for molts. :)

All natural, and basically free!

I top off daily since summer is here. I try to top off and then do a water change once a month in summer. It's hard to do water changes and keep a stable tds when you water evaporate 4" every three days.

I like the long tanks though gives you a larger floor plan. The talls are not very fun unless you have a nice structured scape to keep them up on it.

-Chris

I use mosura gravidas once in 2weeks.

I see empty shells after 2days.

Not alot. but more than usual.

I feed twice a week.with bw bebi,shield,gg bacter ae,mosura old sea mud.

Mosura gravidas & bw stout once in 2weeks.

I hope it helps little.

I always find nice molts after I feed blanched spinach. Also I do a pinch of calcium montromilite on every water change. To have good molts they need sources of calcium so feed a good diet of foods with that. To get them to grow faster and molt more often I would add in some frozen blood worms once a week or once every other week. Protein helps them grow faster thus causing the need to molt. Don't over feed protein but make sure you have a good source as part of their diet

I bought a large bottle of low molecular weight Chitosan awhile back to help with molting, but my results are inconclusive.  The difference between Chitosan and Chitan is that Chitosan is water soluble.

If anybody wants a nickle baggie to try and give results on, just pay shipping for a first class envelope.  PLease note- this is for research only.  I guarantee nothing.  Your shrimp may turn purple, die or dance the Watoosie.  You do this under your own risk.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the long tanks though gives you a larger floor plan. The talls are not very fun unless you have a nice structured scape to keep them up on it.

-Chris

When I picked up my latest 20 I made sure to do a long not tall just for that reason. I feel like the height is a waste of space to be honest.

Chris

All depends on the situation.  Sometimes if I don't have any berries in a tank for a while, I'll induce with cooler water change- but whenever you induce a molt- always risky.  If they are not ready, you may lose your shrimp.

Is it mostly temperature that induces molting, or is it stuff like the PH deference in old and new water?

How much percent water change would you say you do when trying to induce?