Help! Want to start a shrimp tank

ConnorT

Ok so just made an account to ask this question... I have had a 30 gallon fish tank for some time now and soon I’m going to be upgrading to a 70 gallon and want to turn my old tank into a shrimp exclusive tank. I am not too interested in breeding, although it would be cool and I would like to know if it is possible with some species I picked out. From what I have gathered from some research neocaridinas can not interbreed so I can choose one neo. Then for caridinas i am getting conflicting answers. Can they all interbreed successfully? There are a few in particular I would like. My list is looking like this:

5 red cherry shrimp

5 blue bee shrimp

5 tangerine tiger shrimp

5 Indian green shrimp

3 crystal red shrimp

2 crystal black shrimp 

Would all of these get along? Would they all successfully breed? Will they be happy? If no to any of these please explain why and maybe an alternative, thank you!

I have herd it it not a good Idea to start with caridina (crystal) shrimp, but I think in such a big tank they should be fine. Just make sure you get the water right and know what you are doing. Also, have the water at caridina parameters. Neos are more adaptable that caridinas, so that should work out. The caridinas might interbreed, but their babys will probably not be plain and ugly like neo mixes. Good luck!

I believe all the cardinas can breed together the crystal reds and crystal blacks definitely will along with anything that shares the same scientific name. And there was a post earlier this week where members were discussing keeping different colored shrimp together here on the forum as well. Apparently thats what they do in Europe, which may or may not be good, but they usually are like a decade ahead of us in the hobby in Europe. I didn't look into it enough to find out. 

A site called Planet Invert  has an article about interbreeding.  Attached to the article is a chart showing which species can share a tank.  I'll try to find a link for you.  I've never heard of the European theories, but I'm still learning.  I'd like to know more.  Good luck w/ your new tank!

Here's the link.   http://www.planetinverts.com/Will These Shrimp Interbreed.html

Here's a more exhaustive compatibility chart;  http://www.planetinverts.com/ShrimpBreedingChart.pdf 

Edited by Sandy
adding link

Just slow down, take a deep breath, do the research and plan your new hobby thoroughly, otherwise it will be short lived and end in tears...

Make sure your tank is cycled/matured and its params are ok for shrimp, then start off with a few tough tester basic shrimp like ordinary cherries and then in the coming months decide how you want to progress with being a shrimper or not.. . 

I would not mix Caridina (crystal, blue bee & tangerine) with Neo-Caridina (red cherry). They won't crossbreed as being from different genus, but they do require different water parameters to thrive.

As for the green Babaultis (Indian green), it should do fine with the Neo.

Crossbreeding for the Caridina can give astonishing offsprings, especially tangerines with crystals which can give you nice taitebees.

Crossbreeding Neocaridinas, e.g. red cherries with yellow or chocolate, etc, can be surprising too. It would produce a "wild type" (brown or clear colourless) cherries, but also some funny offsprings.

Caridina will not interbreed with Neocaridina, and the green Babaultis will not interbreed with caridina or neo.

Consider what said Purplepanda and slow down little padawan, be patient, proceed step by step :cool:

May the force be with you :sword:

I'm going to add in here to not give up if your tank doesn't succeed on the first try. Losses can be heartbreaking and discouraging. We lost entire colonies. Now our tanks can be relatively neglected but our colonies continue. We have neos and tigers which are relatively easy but there is still a learning curve. Just keep with it and you'll get it.

Thank you all for the help! I just want to make it clear that I am definitely doing my research. I know how to stay on top of water parameters and cycle the tank. Thank you for these links and resources, it helps a lot, I’m excited to start a shrimp colony!

You might want to pick 1 kind of shrimp to start with.  The learning curve is easier and less confusing...  Neos are the most forgiving to start with.  No fancy substrate needed...  cheap pool filter sand from the hardware store works great.  A cycled sponge filter, and maybe a little heater if you keep the house cold.  But some folks don't even use heaters.  Maybe some moss...  But you should test your water to know what you're working with.

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, ConnorT said:

I still haven’t gotten around to it yet but I am thinking of starting out with cherry shrimp for a few months to get a hang of things and slowly add the others every few months

thats a solid idea.  dont forget to quarantine

Start with Cherries, as mentioned above.  Look locally (Craigslist, Facebook) or here on Shrimpspot to purchase shrimp, in my experience the shrimp you get from other hobbyists are not only cheaper but tend to be pretty hardy.  There are a lot of us on here that sell cherries and other shrimp.  

I keep snails in all my shrimp tanks as well as plants/moss, driftwood & leaf litter.  The snails eat leftover food and help to keep the bio-load up, the leaves and driftwood provide a long term food source and grow biofilm, this is the primary food for shrimp.  Plants are great for the overall health of your tanks, they remove nitrates and provide shelter and a grazing area for shrimp as well.  

All Neocaridina will interbreed with each other, and all Caridinia will interbreed with each other.  There are some Caridina (Orange Eyed Blue Tigers/OEBT, there may be more that I am not aware of) that can live in Neocaridina water parameters without any issues.  This is the best way to keep a mixed tank IMHO.  

On 1/9/2018 at 8:09 AM, wyzazz said:

There are some Caridina (Orange Eyed Blue Tigers/OEBT, there may be more that I am not aware of) that can live in Neocaridina water parameters without any issues.  This is the best way to keep a mixed tank IMHO.  

Do you know of any OEBTs for sale on the site?

Thanks!

Sandy

On 1/8/2018 at 2:30 PM, ConnorT said:

I still haven’t gotten around to it yet but I am thinking of starting out with cherry shrimp for a few months to get a hang of things and slowly add the others every few months

Hey Conner,

I started out about 2 years ago and got tons of help from this site and the members on it.  I followed the advice and still lost entire bunches of shrimp before being successful, but I kept on with these critters.  I now have several healthy breeding colonies of shrimp and am glad I didn't give up.  Yes it can be expensive with losses, but now my grand kids and myself enjoy watching them and looking for variations or culls to remove.  They now have tanks in their bedrooms that they can enjoy at home and continue this great hobby. ,,,,,Mike

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

Thanks!

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

Go to the marketplace section and then the search bar and punch in OBET or what ever else you might be looking for.  Sort thru the postings and then PM those people to find out if they have any available.  The more recent he posting the better chance of finding them as we all fluctuate on our time available on this forum due to life getting in the way.  That's what I did when looking for TT's and got responses from everyone.,,,,Mike

3 hours ago, Sandy said:

Thanks!

Sandy

I believe AlliCat has some juveniles available right now, I have a nice stable colony of Orange Eyed Royal Blues but won't have any available to sell for another 2-3 months again.  

13 hours ago, wyzazz said:

I believe AlliCat has some juveniles available right now, I have a nice stable colony of Orange Eyed Royal Blues but won't have any available to sell for another 2-3 months again.  

That timing could work out well for me.  Thanks!  What's the difference between OEBTs and Royals?  Are they tigers?

Wow!  Beautiful.  The first little neo I fell in love with was this color. Blue black or cobalt.  One thing I like about the OEBTs is that their offspring can be a variety of shades of blue.  Have you had to be very particular w culling and parentage to get these Royals?  You've done a great job!

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

Wow!  Beautiful.  The first little neo I fell in love with was this color. Blue black or cobalt.  One thing I like about the OEBTs is that their offspring can be a variety of shades of blue.  Have you had to be very particular w culling and parentage to get these Royals?  You've done a great job!

I haven't done much culling at all.  All the offspring have orange eyes and they are all dark blue.  From the hundreds of shrimp this tank has produced I've pulled 4 with a little blonde in them, and some of the older ones tend to get a bit "rusty", so I've begun to separate them out as well.

That's great!  Good stock.  Have you had any experience with the OEBTs and the color variation I mentioned?  I've only read about them.  They may be my first cards.  Still researching. Any pics of yours?

1 hour ago, Sandy said:

That's great!  Good stock.  Have you had any experience with the OEBTs and the color variation I mentioned?  I've only read about them.  They may be my first cards.  Still researching. Any pics of yours?

Nope, my only experience has been with the ones I have.  I posted pics of mine above.  

On 1/14/2018 at 12:03 PM, wyzazz said:

Here is another pic of some that I sent out a week or so ago.  

IMG_20180101_180032.jpg

He is right.  Under good light they are the right shade of blue..  I got some and questioned the darkness.  Now after a few weeks, their right color is showing up.