good nitrate eater.

evilguppy

I need good nitrate eater.

Im thinking stem plants.

Not floater.

Plants which shrimps can feel safe & play

Water sprite,wisteria?

Lighting is low? Not high.

Easy care. No need to scoop dead leaf not like cabomba, hornwort.

Just shrimp paradise.

And low maintenance.

Moss? No no. I want try something different.

Thank you

Thank you.

Yes.moss.

I have java,xmas,willow and flame.

I love moss.

But want to try something diffrent.

And if plants eat nitrate enough.

I dont need water change. Just top off.

Maybe w/c once in 3months?

That's what im planning.

You just need a faster growing stem plant then.

Bacopa monneri

Rotala rotundifolia

Hygrophila 'Brown' / Hygrophila 'Thai'

Heteranthera Zosterifolia (Stargrass) 

are a few off the top of my head.

​Also for the theory to work you need to plant very dense.

It works for my heavy planted farming tanks.

horn wort is my fav. grows fast and shrimp love it. it is a floater of sorts since it does not root but often sold in munches. i just wait it down with a rock or rubber band to a chop stick so it stays put and let it do its thing. 

water changes are not just for nitrates though. if your doing top offs only keep an eye on your tds as well. tds will cause molt issue if its to high or low. water changes are done to keep things in check. if all you are doing is adding more water then other parameters will change like tds because as things evap the minerals are left behind and your just adding more if using tap. with ro and top offs you will be dropping your tds since ro water has no minerals.

Idk about that wikis. When the water evaporates and leaves the tds and minerals there yes that's true, but when you add ro water for a top off it dilutes the tds back to normal doesn't raise or lower it.

Example my tds is 165 and my water evaporates four inches every three to four days, so I do a top off with pure ro water. But when my water is down four inches my tds raises to 190 but once I add the ro water it dilutes that and put it back to a tds of 160-167.

i have had both happen. i aim for about 125-135 tds when i mix ro water. i have not had nitrate issues so i do few water changes in my tb tank. the other day i tested and since i had only done top offs for a month the tds was all the way down to 110.  you dont reminerilze when you just top off. i will prob do a full water test and see what i need to do be it remin some water or do a larg change and adjust other params too

so yes tds can go up or down depending on if its tap or ro.

Agree to disagree haha. I like it. I need to do a massive water change on my shrimp tank have done it in a month been very busy with work daughter and the wedding, I'm slacking, I'm sure my nitrates are high. And the algae is out of control

• 3 weeks later...

i have had both happen. i aim for about 125-135 tds when i mix ro water. i have not had nitrate issues so i do few water changes in my tb tank. the other day i tested and since i had only done top offs for a month the tds was all the way down to 110.  you dont reminerilze when you just top off. i will prob do a full water test and see what i need to do be it remin some water or do a larg change and adjust other params too

so yes tds can go up or down depending on if its tap or ro.

If all you're doing is topping off with RO water the TDS will never go up. The minerals in the water don't evaporate out, only the h2o does.

I have experience about w/c, i try not w/c in 3 months, i just top up my tank with RO water and my TDS is stable (volume water out and in must same). Everything is OK, berried no stop, hacthed very good, survival rate the offspring is high... BUT, the quality of my shrimp is decrease and try to w/c routine once a week and the quality increase like before not w/c... W/c is make your water refresh...

So i don't recommended to STOP Water Change, my experiment in PRL tank :)

I hope my experience can explain about w/c