Hello from North Raleigh NC!!

aquarist

Hello everyone,

I've been in the hobby for about six years now, but I've had aquariums with fish only since early childhood. Around six years ago a friend gifted me two 29 gallon aquariums, I was super excited to have some aquariums again and I couldn't wait to get them setup!! So I set them up with bunches of plastic plants, and little plastic decorations, about a month or two after do that, I was at a pet store and saw the live plants, at this time I was big into house plants and had around 100 of them, so I thought to myself "I can grow regular plants just fine, how hard can it be to grow a plant the is SURROUNDED by water?!?!?" I laughed all the way home and planted my plants in my aquarium and thought I was golden. About a week later my plant was dead, I thought it was perhaps something wrong with the aquarium so I went back and got a couple more, same thing happened shortly after, dead plants. Well I wised up and decided to google the care of this plant, and it turns out it wasn't even aquatic plant to begin with! So I learned at an early stage in the hobby to never, ever, buy a plant unless you know what it is, I probably wasted a bunch of money on non-aquatic plants for my fish tanks. Within about a year after finding a decent planted tank forum, I was able to learn so much about aquatic plants that it was astounding! Now fast forward to, today and I consider myself advanced in the hobby, I no longer have large drawn out battles with algae, can practically grow anything I can find and put into my aquarium, there are some things I don't like to grow like HC but they will grow in my aquarium if I had them. Its simply amazing what good quality dry fertilizers and injected co2 can do for your aquarium, I went without them for a long time, and when I did finally switch over I was shocked at the lushness and growth I was about to achieve in such a short amount of time.

Right now I have five planted aquariums, and two waiting to be planted, the two that are waiting to be planted are a 180 gallon, which will be dutch themed and hopefully house discus fish, the second one waiting to be planted is a 29 gallon and I want to do it iwagumi style, I have a very nice "Bonsai tree" drift wood from Thailand, this aquarium is already hardscaped just need the equipment for it. Here is a little info and a few pictures of each (will add pictures later on my phone, its just easier to do it that way)

yzy7aqur.jpg

Photo-period: 4pm-1am

Tank type: High Tech

Tank Size: 75g

Light Fixture: 48" Sunnova 4 bulb T5ho, Zoomed 2 bulb T5ho

Fixutre Height from Substrate: Sunnova is 21 inches above, the zoomed sits directly on the tank and is 18.75 inches above

Ferts: EI dosing

Co2: Injected via inline diffuser

Excel/Glut: spot treat for algae only

Plant Mass: Heavy

Algae: 95% algae free, have occasional BBA, usually have some GDA on my Anubias and on the lower leaves of some plants.

3u4epy6u.jpg

Tank type: High Tech

Tank Size: 10g

Light Fixture: 1 horizontal 26 watt cfl bulb, 1 vertical 26 watt cfl bulb

Fixutre Height from Substrate: Directly onto of the aquarium, 11 inches from substrate

Co2: Injected co2 via in tank diffuser

Excel/Glut: Spot treatments only

Plant Mass: Moderate, just did a massive trim

Algae: 90% algae free, have what appears to be slime algae on some of the plants that are under the vertical fixture, this is due to excessive light I just haven't raised the fixture yet.

Tank type: High tech

Tank Size: 29g

Light Fixture: Sunnova 4 bulb T5HO

Fixutre Height from Substrate: 19inches

Co2: Injected via in tank diffuser

Excel/Glut: Spot treatment only

Plant Mass: Heavy

Algae: 90% algae free, has some problems with GDA on the glass only.

na7yrepe.jpg

Photo-period: 4pm-1am unless I forget to turn off the light (no timer yet for this one)

Tank type: Low tech

Tank Size: 2.5 gallon fluval spec

Light Fixture: Stock LED light that came with it

Fixutre Height from Substrate: 11 inches from substrate

Ferts: Lite EI dosing

Co2: n/a

Excel/Glut: 2ml daily

Plant Mass: Moderate

Algae: 99% Algae free think I have one bad leaf in there but not sure if it had the algae on it when I planted it or not.

be7e8ene.jpg

Tank type: High tech, have a new ASA valve coming for my pb canister

Tank Size: 20L

Light Fixture: Exo-terra 3 bulb fixture, with three 26w 6,500K bulbs

Fixutre Height from Substrate:

Ferts: Ei dosing

Co2: none now, waiting on my ASA valve

Excel/Glut: 20ml per day until the co2 is hooked up

Plant Mass: Moderate right now, just finished setting this tank up Monday around 1:30am

Algae: 99% Algae free - new tank, so no algae growth.

Welcome! At least we won't be responsible for giving someone MTS hahaha. Nice plants, I have a tree also!

Thanks everybody! Yeah you can't give me MTS but you might infected me with shrimpitdus.

Hey H4N fancy seeing you here!!

Hahha :)