Logo

Hey guys, sorry I have been gone for a while....I was in the Caribbean :).  I put up the rotating banner for now to give it a go.  I think it moves too quickly and think it would be better to stick to just one but it is a good way to see lots of options up there at once.  If you have any suggestions just post the attachments and I will switch the banner out.

HAHA well happy to have you here :)

Where are these pictures coming from? I want to make sure we don't have copywrite issues.

I uploaded the new banner.  It doesn't blend right into the blue and instead is just blending to white. 

changed...it looks really good!!.  So how about the source of those picture? 

Can of worms indeed.

There are some professional photographers who will aggressively pursue such issues, since their photography is their livelihood, and ignoring any unauthorized use of their images encourages more of the same.  Who are well-experienced at representing themselves in court, avoiding lawyer fees; while the defendant does not have the same luxury, so the strength of the case really doesn't matter.  And who know how to cause trouble via other means as well.

Yet the same people will often allow free use if contacted and asked nicely.

Regardless of your personal opinion on the legality, the site administration must make their own decisions on the matter; even if it is only to have a clear conscience or to avoid stepping on the toes of fellow hobbyists.  And to do that, they must know where the images came from.  Which you, curiously, didn't answer; even though directly asked.

I read section 107 here and here and I do not think it would fall under "Fair Use".  Fair use does not appear to be a black or white issue but is more of a gray area that lawyers would argue in.  Additionally if I ever added premium features or ads to this site it would be considered commercial.  Even if I had links to my other commercial site I think it could be argued that this site was for a commercial purpose.  Regardless of whether or not someone would bring a suit or would win a suit I am NOT comfortable with using someone else's pictures without their permission. 

I like the logo aspect of the logo (the bull's eye and text), I think it is very polished and professional but only if we use pictures that are either mine or from members of this forum who have given their permission for them to be used.  I also think it would be really cool to have some of the pictures drawn by Stef or Darkcobra.  I think that adds a unique feel that you don't get with photos. 

Anyone have any thoughts of my proposed solution?

I just uploaded the one that Stef and Darkcobra made to see how the larger size would work and looks like this works as well.  Any thoughts on a larger logo?  If we used a larger one I would probably make it stretch the length of the page.

The larger size looks good if I may say so myself. ;)  As for stretching the length of the page, the question then becomes the length of whose page.  Or would it be set to shrink to fit if needed, with a max size limit?

Just a reminder, we don't consider this image finished.  If at some point it's decided that this will be used, we can still:

1) Replace (or remove) the font, this one was hastily chosen as a basic proof.

2) Swap the rightmost segments of the image, so that the Marimo can function as the "bullseye" and the "O" in "spOt"; with the red and orange shrimp moved to the right of the Marimo and looking at it.

3) Add a simple background.  (A single color, gradient, or relatively abstract texture would likely go best here; photographic textures tend to clash with hand-drawn art.)

4) Adjust shrimp colors and add markings.

Ha, Soothing, we do think alike. I was thinking of cropping it at the moss ball, then "flipping" the left hand side and adding on (extending) it.

I purposely left the shrimp devoid of color, Darkcobra colored them in as a demo. Even thinking of having the shrimp fade and bleed from one color to another,

but I'm not that advanced on the computer aspect.

(Still a WIP. And I do like Shamiak's script/logo part of his creation.)

Feedback is most important, so we know if we should continue to spend time to pursue this venture.

When I get the green light, I will send all use/rights/permission forms- a done deal/gift :)

-Stef*

Ha, Soothing, we do think alike. I was thinking of cropping it at the moss ball, then "flipping" the left hand side and adding on (extending) it.

I purposely left the shrimp devoid of color, Darkcobra colored them in as a demo. Even thinking of having the shrimp fade and bleed from one color to another,

but I'm not that advanced on the computer aspect.

(Still a WIP. And I do like Shamiak's script/logo part of his creation.)

Feedback is most important, so we know if we should continue to spend time to pursue this venture.

When I get the green light, I will send all use/rights/permission forms- a done deal/gift :)

-Stef*

I like your logo as well, Steph. Very versitile and colorful.

Personally, I offered my talent (and drug Darkcobra along for the ride) as a gift to The Shrimp Spot. I joined in mid December, and noticed that there was no logo, and is something I do.

No one contacted me or even PM'd regarding this matter.

Wasn't looking for a competition, just seen an empty spot (no pun intended) that I could fill.

I have no "guarded" secrets, and my sources are my eyes and paintbrush.

I have art and logos all over the world, not looking to market.  I actually turn down many projects, and to make any kind of $ at it, Bay of E and my site are the best avenues.

It rubs me the wrong way, because being an artist, I am also a part of many art forums, and photography is an art form that seems to be taken for granted.

The "pictures aren't relevant" reply cuts deep, and offends both amateur and professional photographers. 

"Lifting" some photos, even for reference of people's fish, no matter how beautiful and flattering, without consent is taboo.

There are many royalty free and free- free fonts, photos, and art available to the artist, web designer, and for resale craft/scrapbooking projects.

No need to use OP's art form without permission. And, as Darkcobra stated, most people will grant permission if simply asked.

(This applies to the music set also)

I don't care which logo is used, or who supplies it. I would just like to see something eye catching and possible unique (love the fade look) that we

would all enjoy seeing, like our shrimp :)

-Stef*

The reason I brought the photos up here was because it is a sensitive topic around shrimp sites (lots of photo stealing going on) and I had already had several members contact me about via private message saying various places they had seen those photos before and I wanted to address it publicly. I want to make sure all the pictures and other protected aspects of any logo are fully honored not just by the law but also in appearance. Even if this site never becomes anything that could be regarded as commercial I would still prefer to operate that way. I appreciate that these are issues that people often have strong feelings about regardless of whether they would win in court.

Stef would you be willing to make some shrimp drawings (or modifying the ones you already have) to work with the logo that Shamiak created(basically would replace the photograph portion with your drawings)?

Shamiak would you be willing to modify your design to replace the pictures you have with ones from my website (theshrimptank.com)and the drawings by Stef? If anyone else has photos that they would like to offer please post them here as well. I have also reached out to Speedie to see if he would be willing to let us use any of his photos.

Yes, Will. I am limited on time right now to create new stuff, but any way I can help, let me know.

Shamiak's design is eye catching, and with approved photos would look great.

I like the idea of member's submitting their own shrimp pics. (Sorry Soothing, and the camera challenged.

I'm sure people who have photos of shrimp bred by those camera challenged would be delighted and give permission

to use photos of them)

Bet if you offered a call for shrimp pics/photos, you would have many posts.

:) Stef*

I am by no means a professional photographer, but you can use any shrimp pics Darkcobra and I have posted.

Granted, we only have Pumpkin Neos (right now), but I personally like  "The Man On The Silver Mountain" photo in

our Maiden Shrimp Voyage post. I have never seen a shrimp looking over what little "shoulders" and no neck it has and giving me the hairy eyeball.

-Stef*