Planaria

Well I seem to have developed a planaria problem in my RCS tank. Has any body tried tried using safe guard or panacur. Both are deworming drugs. I have read online people use it at a dose of .1 gram per 10 gallons.

That's correct.

I bought Panacure from Amazon for $6.28, three 1 gram pack. this seller is the cheapest, but slow.

I dosed 0.1g to my 10G tank to treat hydra.

I have BMS and CRS in it. I put 0.1g powder (includes 22.2mg Fenbendazole) in tea bag and put it in HOB.

It's in HOB for three days now. every thing is fine. 

Plan to keep it for a week then remove it.

I will not suggest to dose into tank directly, it's very hard to remove.

I use "fish bendazole" from Ebay.  My personal preference is .1g for planaria, .05g for hydra

Remember to turn off your light for the first day.  It degrades in light.

Lol, so I double dosed for hydra.

I didn't turn off light for the first day, but I dose at night, so couple hours later, light is off by timer.

all Hydra killed at first day. 

don't know how to post photos.

couple photos when I dosed the fenbendazole

3 packs, 1g each

post-231-0-04761700-1407458918_thumb.jpg

weight for 0.1g

post-231-0-72950400-1407458925_thumb.jpg

put in tea bag

post-231-0-12056600-1407458929_thumb.jpg

put in HOB

post-231-0-56696700-1407458951_thumb.jpg

I see planaria offered up as live food on aquabid often

what's kind of fish will eat it? I know normal fish won't touch it.

I use "fish bendazole" from Ebay.  My personal preference is .1g for planaria, .05g for hydra

Remember to turn off your light for the first day.  It degrades in light.

Is it safe for shrimplets?

I learned a very hard lesson with Fenben. Be careful you don't over doze, or your shrimp will die.

I have now gone with the trap way to get rid of planaria and worms, and snails. No chemicals

with the traps and they works great. I just use the same food I would feed the shrimp in the traps,

as that is what they are used to eating.

With the hydra, I just smash them against the glass and then clean the glass, but I have tried just

a touch of Fenben for the hydra and I turn off the lights for 24 hours and cover the tank with a cloth

for 24hours, so very little light gets in. I only use just a tiny bit of Fenben, and it works great, gets

rid of the hydra, and the shrimp are fine.

I learned a very hard lesson with Fenben. Be careful you don't over doze, or your shrimp will die.

I have now gone with the trap way to get rid of planaria and worms, and snails. No chemicals

with the traps and they works great. I just use the same food I would feed the shrimp in the traps,

as that is what they are used to eating.

With the hydra, I just smash them against the glass and then clean the glass, but I have tried just

a touch of Fenben for the hydra and I turn off the lights for 24 hours and cover the tank with a cloth

for 24hours, so very little light gets in. I only use just a tiny bit of Fenben, and it works great, gets

rid of the hydra, and the shrimp are fine.

No need turn off the light, and cover the tank.

it works just fine with light on.

Stupid question here guys.I know that hydra is bad but why are you wagging war on th Planara do they cause disease like the hydra or is it a personal thing.Siamese fighting fish and paradise fish will eat them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

The reason that I am ridding my tanks is that I have read that they have been know to get under the shells of shrimp and attack shrimp that have just molted. Now granted this is info from the Web so it mast be taken with a bag of salt but better safe than sorry. Would not won't to loose my colony to some thing that is preventable.

Hudra spread disease?

Hydra is just a nice name for flukes.They attach to gills and beneath scales opening the door to infection.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

August 11, 2013 changed my mind about planaria.  I had heard differring stories about harm with shrimp or not.  It was around the previous month when out of my 30+ tanks, I got a planaria infection in- out of all tanks- my Nessie tank.  I chose to ignore it thinking it was harmless.

On the date mentioned though, I saw this dreaded sight:

post-2-0-14697400-1407626253.jpg

post-2-0-89393900-1407626254_thumb.jpg

Not a dead shrimp, and not a baby, but one of my prized adult shrimp still struggling and attacked by a planaria.  Then, other planaria joined the attack.  Luckilly I had my camera with me at teh time to record the event for any doubting Thomases.  And even then, it won't convince everyone.

So for me, planaria= bad.

---

This is a freshwater hydra:

hydra1.jpg

This is a gill fluke:

Dactyl_80X.jpg

They are not the same.  Hydra have stingers like jellyfish and will sting the pray, and then grab it to their center mouth.  They reproduce by budding, so smashing them only spreads them around your tank. :(

Yeah, hydra will sting the shrimp and kill them. You do not want any hydra in your shrimp tank.

Good to know about the smashing too. But a little bit of Fenben does get rid of them quickly,

and it doesn't hardly take any of the Fenben to do it too. Just tiny pinch is all it took to get

rid of the hydra and did not seem to bother the shrimp at all.

Too much Fenben will though. So becareful

I just had saw planaria im my splotched carbon tank... I think thats why my number of shrimplets seem to be dropping. .. han is sending me no planaria to take care if them

I have some of the no planarian too, but have never used it.

let me know how it goes.