Anyone keep Bloody Red Shrimp?

thebuddha

Hemimysis anomala

These tiny shrimp have invaded the great lakes. Just wondering if you guys have heard of anyone keeping or breeding them

Are these types of shrimp even kept in the aquarium hobby?

Here are a few links about them:

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/Programs/glansis/hemi_brochure.html

http://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/invasive-bloody-red-shrimp-may-be-supper-great-lakes-fish.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemimysis_anomala

post-236-0-46662900-1408169054.jpeg

post-236-0-45986800-1408169065.jpg

I don't keep them but as I'm only 6 miles from Lake Ontario s shore I may be able to locate some. I will need to speak to the NYSDEC first they are a little odd then it comes to collecting in ny. However I could get some I could see them replacing brine shrimp as a food source as they only get .25 to .50 inches long. And if they will breed in the great lakes they should breed in the home aquarium.

I don't keep them but as I'm only 6 miles from Lake Ontario s shore I may be able to locate some. I will need to speak to the NYSDEC first they are a little odd then it comes to collecting in ny. However I could get some I could see them replacing brine shrimp as a food source as they only get .25 to .50 inches long. And if they will breed in the great lakes they should breed in the home aquarium.

Keep us updated !

Oh nice! Would be worth looking into. Meta my good buddy is DEC I could email him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Oh nice! Would be worth looking into. Meta my good buddy is DEC I could email him.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'll just call i got there cell phone numbers they will tell me who i need to talk to directly in either region 6,7 or Albany. Hopefully it will be somebody i know.

Buddha ,

They have been using them in Europe for fish food for awhile now an invasive species which seems to breed rather nicely in captivity .

Too bad impossible to find in a culture .

Ive fished these guys out during research trips and stuff, getting in equipment below the thermocline.  Didn't bother picking them up (hehe pretty sure my prof wouldn't have approved) and the stuff I've pulled from the bottom.....makes me hesitant to even wanna play with anything from the water.  

Hah, I thought of that...

:/

I'd love to go out and look for some, but need to do some research on how to collect before taking the hour drive to lake michigan on my one day off of the week. Seems like they like still water in rocky, shadowy areas. Would probably just go out there with a net and bucket....wonder what the legal implications are of collecting them without any permission?

• 2 months later...