SL Blue Wizard

ShrimpSageMode

Has anyone use this product and can tell me more info about this?

1907618_685450754849841_1569768054946571

Did I sell this to you on The Planted Tank? I can get you a gallon/dose when I get home from work. I usually never measure the exact pumps per gallon as I find this method inaccurate and could lead to over/under issue. I usually dose, mix, test, and repeat until I reach a 110-115TDS (using 5gal to mix).

Personally, I use both Blue Wizard Water and Salty Shrimp GH+. Depending on if I have time to mix the salts and give it a 12+hr aging or not. Issue with salts and rodi water is you typically need to age it, because the salts will cause a drop in pH, and if not accounted for could cause shocks at waterchange. Salts needs time to air out which usually takes 12+ hours. I usually premix before going on on the weekends and WC the day after. Both are good, and I've been using Blue Wizard Water for 6mos now and still going strong, 3/4 used with lots left.

I was wondering how much is it and how many pumps for 1 gallon of ro water to top off a 20 gallon long tank.

I do pretty much the same with chef. The bottle says 10mL of blue wizard added to 100L of water and each pump is 2mL. I don't think each pump is actually 2mL though. I mix and measure until I get around TDS 130 which would also give you gh 4. I don't age it for 12 hours. I sometimes let it sit for maybe an hour but I don't see any problems without aging the water.

Hmmm I didn't know about the salts taking 12 hours to age. I mix in my salty gh+ wait 5-10 minutes. Measure the TDS and if it's just right I'll throw it in the tank. If it's not, then I'll just accordingly. Do you have evidence of this aging of salty shrimp gh+? I've added it right away without the 12 hour aging process and haven't had problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do pretty much the same with chef. The bottle says 10mL of blue wizard added to 100L of water and each pump is 2mL. I don't think each pump is actually 2mL though. I mix and measure until I get around TDS 130 which would also give you gh 4. I don't age it for 12 hours. I sometimes let it sit for maybe an hour but I don't see any problems without aging the water.

Aging is only applicable for salts. This is the benefits of a liquid mineralizer over a salt based mineralizer. There's always a toss off between salts and liquids, value vs. convenience. I use have both because RL happens and sometimes I don't have time to age the water.

Aging is only applicable for salts. This is the benefits of a liquid mineralizer over a salt based mineralizer. There's always a toss off between salts and liquids, value vs. convenience. I use have both because RL happens and sometimes I don't have time to age the water.

My bad! I think I misunderstood you :)

How does the price compare to salty gh?

Price is comparable but of course if you have a million tanks (some of us here do) you'll get more bang for your bucks taking the dry salts route.

Similar to the dry ferts vs liquid ferts debate, you'll get more for $10 worth of dry than liquids ferts. You wouldn't do EI dosing for a shrimp tank (the main argument for doing dry ferts) and mixing your own diluted mix can be a hassle for some so shrimp tanks with plants tend to do liquid ferts. Being OCD myself, I mix my own dry ferts into liquid form for the daily ease, but that's just me.

Do note: liquid mineralizers have an added benefit of having trace elements added separate in the mixing phase of production. Traces is too difficult to add accurately into salts as it is required but in such a small amounts. Again, this shouldn't be an issue if you're already adding your own traces.

Everything will come down to personal preferences. Dollar for dollar, salts all the way. If money isn't an issue because you only have 1-2 tanks and do very little water change, liquid mineralizer is just as good. The ease and convenience is a big factor sometimes makes it more appealing than salts.

My 2cents.

was just typing something similar up but you beat me to it.

its not that hard to get if there is a market for it. but I've been avoiding importing it because Salty Shrimp stuff is so popular.

^ agreed. I'm a big fan of salty shrimp product. Owner of the 1000mg jar myself, but sometime so just don't have time perform my personal rituals before WC if I use the salts. Fridays and Saturdays can get crazy sometimes. I can't be held accountable for such incidents! Full time job combined with shrimp tanks and other hobbies can lead to unexpected things. [emoji51]

totally understand and same boat here.

I really dont use a remineralizer that much, its actually pretty rare i mix any up for my own racks.   every couple of weeks i test the water, if things are within range i leave it alone.

this might be related to the fact I dont do water changes. I have plenty of evap and RO top offs.  my latest sump rack is almost a year old and the only water changes that were done were during cycling.

the hardest thing for me is keeping some TDS. in my system it usually hovers around 100-110.  my gh is spot on 6 and ph 6.2-4.

• 2 months later...

Here's what I came up with when I did the math for dosing using the squirting style bottle the SL Aqua Blue Wizard utilizes. Target of 5 dGH.

17f92518d93812194a4c5ec2b9049b4c.jpg

I used an API test tube and measured the distance from the bottom to the 5 ml line and did the math, marked the 2ml line with a red sharpie and used that to fill and pour into and gallon of distilled.

3 full presses squirted out right and 2ml.

After trying this several times, to see if the squirts were consistent. It did vary slightly but very close to the line.

After mixing the liquid with the gallon of distilled, the measurements were:

TDS 150 ppm

GH 4.5

I'm very happy with the accuracy of the directions. It takes a minute to convert the size and measurements down to a gallon but after I looked it over alluded tested it out, I wasn't surpised.

I was surprised with the accuracy of the squirting consistency, very good stuff. Will last a long time :)