Bloody Mary Shrimp

ctaylor3737

Does anyone know if the younger juvies have an orangish color? They are very solid coloring but not really the deep red that I see in the pictures it is more of an orangish red. Ill see if I can post some pictures to show what I am talking about.

..I don't think these breed true at all.. Never owner them, but I've read stories and accounts of very low percentages of babies coming out looking like Bloody Marys.

That said, isn't part of the fun of keeping shrimp is adding your own personal touch and role in actively breeding for better nicer shrimps? For some it is, I know folks like soothing dedicate a lot of time and tanks to achieve such goals.

I would say 25%  is close. Out of around 50 babies I have kept 11 that were solid. They were a little orange when they were only a few months old.

what's the water parameters you keep it in? I only have berried females for once, then drop egg during our vacation when hydra broke out.

To tell you the truth I have never tested my BM tank. Used fluval shrimp base and let it cycle. Only ever tested TDS in that tank and it was between 170-180 always. BMs bred and were berried like crazy with 50-70 babies in 5 months. Moved them to bigger tank with inert substrate and they have slowed down considerably

Babies definitely need time to develop.  I really didn't pay much attention to this tank but I was definitely over 50% for keepers, I would say closer to 80%.

Lower quality berried female with baby in foreground:

BloodyMaryFemale1_zps41ea3b98.jpg

High quality berried female:

BloodyMaryFemale2_zpsde015a6b.jpg

Low quality male:

BloodyMaryMale_zps6c1c7658.jpg

High quality male:

BloodyMaryMale2_zps7dc3f502.jpg

Babies definitely need time to develop.  I really didn't pay much attention to this tank but I was definitely over 50% for keepers, I would say closer to 80%.

Lower quality berried female with baby in foreground:

BloodyMaryFemale1_zps41ea3b98.jpg

High quality berried female:

BloodyMaryFemale2_zpsde015a6b.jpg

Low quality male:

BloodyMaryMale_zps6c1c7658.jpg

High quality male:

BloodyMaryMale2_zps7dc3f502.jpg

Thanks, I just wasnt sure. I have never seen juvies with this coloration was concerned that they wasnt bloody marys. They have a nice solid color though so im pretty sure they will color up some more, I will def have to selective breed some of these out. Will give my cherries some better color im sure, will have to put the culls in there.