Mineral balls

metageologist

I was wondering if any body is using the porphyries and tourmaline balls that have been on FB lately. I found it odd you would want to put these in your shrimp tanks. As they are both silicates, and have the potential to contain unwanted trace metals.

tourmaline is common mineral to add to shrimp tank.

I know couple big names use it to build the balls for shrimp.

Tourmaline as in the gem stone? I wholesale gems and minerals (as an excuse to cover my collecting;-)). id considered adding a few aqua marine or tourmaline specimens.....the tourmaline can benifit my shrimp?

The idea is slowly release trace elements into the water column which would benefit to shrimp overall health.

you don't need mineral ball, raw rock is just working fine, and way cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

I was skeptical about all these mineral balls until I bought some MK-Breed Life balls. My shrimp hang out on those things all the time now. I'm not sure if its just for the biofilm or what but they seem to like them. I dunno but I added a few to each tank just in case.

http://www.hanaquatics.com/life-balls/

Scott

• 1 year later...

Is it hard to keep Ebi-ken in stock? seems like your always sold out.

recently messaged Eric about Ebi-Ken the other day. The owner seems to be following other pursuits in life a la Speedie, Eric is trying to coax him back into the shrimp game.

recently messaged Eric about Ebi-Ken the other day. The owner seems to be following other pursuits in life a la Speedie, Eric is trying to coax him back into the shrimp game.

Yeah... really hurts not having Ebi-Ken Ei anymore. that was one of the best products ever made and desired by many of the biggest breeders both in the USA and around the world.