Shrimp education

Archie1208

I had no idea the level of sophistication this hobby required. I felt fairly knowledgable with fish (as far as I needed to be).

This is another level or two. I really hope to be able to pick it up a notch or four. It really is interesting.

Just a side bar. I have said over and a

over how great I think this forum is. It's greatest asset is the way information is shared. Other places I have been, members parrot one another attempting to show how smart THEY are and thus end up sounding incredibly condescending.

In any event thank you for creating this haven and here's one lay person that will most likely drive all of crazy with asinine questions over the next few years.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are glad to have you here. All of us can learn alot of something or a little of another when it comes to this shrimp hobby. 

Don't say you weren't warned. Here is a first of many to come.

When I see what I think are eggs under the female - that is when she is said to be berried, correct? Is that the 'saddle' area? She should drop them in about 3 weeks, correct? And at that time the male the fertilizes the eggs. Correct? So I I wanted to selectively breed - I could net her and one (two) males of my choosing and separate them now - is that sort of it so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddled is when the egg's are in her ovaries behind the head, berried is when she is carrying egg's in her swimmerets. To selective breed you need to cull leave the best shrimp remove the shrimp that don't fit your criteria from your breeding tank.  

There is a possibility of selective breeding the way you mentioned. You need to be able to identify females that are about to molt. They have a wider space behind their head. You'll also be able to see the saddle (the developing eggs that haven't been fertilized and are still in the female's body). At this time, net her into a breeding box along with one or more males that you want her to breed with. I'd always put more than one male if possible to ensure that the female is fertilized. Sometimes you get unlucky and the male is also preparing for its molt and is not interested in fertilizing the female. You'll then see the female's molt then her berried in a couple of hours. Again, the hard part is identifying the female that is about to molt.

There is a possibility of selective breeding the way you mentioned. You need to be able to identify females that are about to molt. They have a wider space behind their head. You'll also be able to see the saddle (the developing eggs that haven't been fertilized and are still in the female's body). At this time, net her into a breeding box along with one or more males that you want her to breed with. I'd always put more than one male if possible to ensure that the female is fertilized. Sometimes you get unlucky and the male is also preparing for its molt and is not interested in fertilizing the female. You'll then see the female's molt then her berried in a couple of hours. Again, the hard part is identifying the female that is about to molt.

Quick question on this, how long is the window of opportunity after the female molts?

Btw the best way i found to accurately sex the shrimp is to look for the dark saddle. It is shaped like a nike swoosh. If im still uncertain i look at the smaller set of antennae, females have much shorter ones than males. Forget about the belly shape, its too hard to discern ( moreso if they havnt been berried before).

Quick question on this, how long is the window of opportunity after the female molts?

Btw the best way i found to accurately sex the shrimp is to look for the dark saddle. It is shaped like a nike swoosh. If im still uncertain i look at the smaller set of antennae, females have much shorter ones than males. Forget about the belly shape, its too hard to discern ( moreso if they havnt been berried before).

I've read the female would have to be fertilized within 12 hours of molting but personally I have no idea. For me, I judge it by how the males are acting. If the males are "flying" around, then I believe the female is still available for mating.

I know that there is a lot of info out there on different sites. I also have Shrimp keepers and breeders magazine. Here is a question. Has anyone ever done  a beginners guide to shrimp? Perhaps Soothing and a couple others advanced breeders and keepers here can put together one similar to the magazine?? What say everyone?  

Whatever you do dont fall for this site http://breedingcrs.com its a scam site that will take your money. They prey on new folks trying to get into the hobby. The do not provide you with an ebook after you pay.

I fell for it before and tried to dispute though paypal. Paypal ruled in the websites favor unfortunately. Its a shame paypal allows vendors to extort with no repercussion.

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever you do dont fall for this site http://breedingcrs.com its a scam site that will take your money. They prey on new folks trying to get into the hobby. The do not provide you with an ebook after you pay.

I fell for it before and tried to dispute though paypal. Paypal ruled in the websites favor unfortunately. Its a shame paypal allows vendors to extort with no repercussion.

Hi mcdonnellv,

As the owner of the product I can assure you this is not a scam site.

If you have had any issues what so ever please provide your payment information so I can follow up on where this dispute is at with paypal.

I must say we don't ever hear of irate customers and are more than happy to lend a hand if your finding it difficult to find your purchase.

We are always open to ideas and want your feedback on your purchase experience so we can improve this for other users.

Please email your payment information to support @ breedingcrs.com (minus the spaces ) so I can look into this personally and refund your payment.

My apologies for any difficulties you have had.

Look forward to hearing from you.

***Lastly I must ad http://breedingcrs.com  is in beginner friendly breeding guide for CRS aka Crystal red shrimp we will continue to evolve our product and other ebooks in the shrimp world space as times change and methods become more advanced - Im currently working on another for Cherrys AKA Neocaridina heteropoda species as per request of our members as we encourage our members to start there journey with Neocaridina's before venturing beyond - after this we will get into tigers and other variants as this is my passion and I want the hobby to grow***

Hi mcdonnellv,

As the owner of the product I can assure you this is not a scam site.

If you have had any issues what so ever please provide your payment information so I can follow up on where this dispute is at with paypal.

I must say we don't ever hear of irate customers and are more than happy to lend a hand if your finding it difficult to find your purchase.

We are always open to ideas and want your feedback on your purchase experience so we can improve this for other users.

Please email your payment information to support @ breedingcrs.com (minus the spaces ) so I can look into this personally and refund your payment.

My apologies for any difficulties you have had.

Look forward to hearing from you.

***Lastly I must ad http://breedingcrs.com  is in beginner friendly breeding guide for CRS aka Crystal red shrimp we will continue to evolve our product and other ebooks in the shrimp world space as times change and methods become more advanced - Im currently working on another for Cherrys AKA Neocaridina heteropoda species as per request of our members as we encourage our members to start there journey with Neocaridina's before venturing beyond - after this we will get into tigers and other variants as this is my passion and I want the hobby to continue to grow globally - we are mostly getting members from USA, AUS, SG, BRA, CA, UK, MY, IN but this is expanding quiet noticeably each month which is great to see!***