High density breeding

I've seen a couple of high density breeding videos online.

Has anyone tried this approach to breeding? From what I've read here, breeding stops when the tank is overpopulated. So I am wondering how high density breeding works.

http://youtu.be/2sS7HV1Aa-A

The reason the probably slow down is too little food and too much waste.  If you can feed them enough and keep the water clean I don't see why this wouldn't work.  Hell my tiger tank looks about like that right now.

My 7.9G Fluval Flora probably have exceeded 500, and I had a 20 long that looked almost like in the video posted by OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32E_jOxxC54

Also, this old video I took was over over 400 in a 10G within 5 months from 20-30. Eventually it reached over 600 in that 10G tank about 4 months after the video. (there was a summer in that 4 months and I sold many from it too)

So, I don't know the limit, and I find that the more shrimps in the tank the more forgiving they are. The NO3 in that tank at time of the video was about 80ppm (they still bred and babies grew up). Eventually the tank crashed (or about to), so I moved out most of the shrimps.

That's the tank that inspired me to go all half-bare-bottom setup.

My 7.9G Fluval Flora probably have exceeded 500, and I had a 20 long that looked almost like in the video posted by OP.

Also, this old video I took was over over 400 in a 10G within 5 months from 20-30. Eventually it reached over 600 in that 10G tank about 4 months after the video. (there was a summer in that 4 months and I sold many from it too)

So, I don't know the limit, and I find that the more shrimps in the tank the more forgiving they are. The NO3 in that tank at time of the video was about 80ppm (they still bred and babies grew up). Eventually the tank crashed (or about to), so I moved out most of the shrimps.

That's the tank that inspired me to go all half-bare-bottom setup.

How can you tell if a tank has or is about to crash? What is a crash?

How can you tell if a tank has or is about to crash? What is a crash?

There are signs... breeding stops is the first, then babies start to not make it. Not sure if its my imagination or not, floaters would normally start to turn brown when a tank crashes. I just say crash because the population will crash to the ground if you dont do anything.

High density breeding might work if you have a sump at least twice the volume of the breeding tank.

I have had doubt on shrimp needing high capacity filtration from the beginning of my shrimp keep experience. Of course, this is just my opinion and apparently different from a lot of hobbyists.

Shrimps don't eat a lot, so there's not that much bioload from them. For example, I only use the stock filter (very small) in this fluval flora 7.9G, I removed the insert and replace with Seachem Matrix (only able to use a handful due to the size). I use a piece of filter foam cut in size to block the intake (baby shrimps still can get in and grow up inside the filter).  And if I remember correctly, I have done maybe one water change for this tank so far this year, just topping off.

And at the moment I must have over 500 in this tank, and still lots of berried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POoKmJ__uE8