Well Crap....lost my sulawesi's

OblongShrimp

That sucks bro I almost lost mine over the weekend. An airline blew off my central air fell down and siphoned all the water out, was an inch left when I got in. Not as extreme but it sucks, know that feeling of walking into a disaster you have no control over.

That sucks bro I almost lost mine over the weekend. An airline blew off my central air fell down and siphoned all the water out, was an inch left when I got in. Not as extreme but it sucks, know that feeling of walking into a disaster you have no control over.

NO check valves?

I am using Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral 8.5 so the pH is likely above 8.3 but I haven't checked it.

Sorry to hear Will. Very unusual. Wish we could find an answer quick and easy for you. Always tough to just not know what happened.

Sorry to hear that. I have lost 100 sulawesis over 3-4 days myself, but I did find the bodies. To me, importing sulawesi is just a gamble, I don't sell any imports anymore but only the offspring from my own tanks. The transportation adds too much to them.

I am using Salty Shrimp Sulawesi Mineral 8.5 so the pH is likely above 8.3 but I haven't checked it.

Having higher pH/kH water is like using double-edge sword. On one hand, it contains a lot of buffer and the pH is very stable. On the other hand, with pH above 8.3, much more free ammonia will be converted, especially at high temperature of Sulawesi tank. In addition, ammonia is basic/alkaline and will further increase the pH that increases more free ammonia. End up, it will be like a chain reaction.

Does your tank has rabbit snail? Rabbit snail loves to eat shrimp carcass. This may explain the disappearing body. I personally think that they eat the body and, it will prevent them from decaying and pollutes the water.

nope no rabbit snails...just boatloads of copapods which were swarming the one dead shrimp I did see.  They had completely covered it so I think they were eating them all. 

some tiny flea like creature, could be wrong on what they are though.