Well Crap....lost my sulawesi's

OblongShrimp

I left town on Sunday for work and when I got back today it looks like my tank of cardinals (300 or so) and most of my tank with Harlequins, Red Orchids, and White Orchids are gone.  I don't see any bodies, the shrimp are just gone!  I have no idea what the hell happened while I was gone but my tank of Blue Poso and Mixed Sulawesi's is still ok.  I have ton of copapods or something in the tank but otherwise I don't know what the hell happened :(

I think the copapods ate most of them.  When I looked around carefully I saw one partial body but that is it and it was covered in the copapods. 

That's terrible! I have Copepods in several tanks and never thought they bothered the shrimp. How does one control a copepod population?

I feel like it must be a crash. No predatory animals inside the tank can hunt down 300shrimps. A spike in ammonia? 300 is a lot of shrimps. In more alkaline water, it ammonia would be deadly ammonium.

I bet those benibachi ammonia slabs would even help. Jesus. Expensive shrimps. Sorry mate.

Sorry for your lost.

Did you check your parameters and did this happen in one tank or multiple tanks? Did you do a water change prior to this? 

Copepods or scuds wont usually harm healthy shrimps but a large amount of them will make quick work of any dead shrimps in the tank.

must have been a crash....they were all fine for the couple of weeks before so I don't think it was a disease they came with.  I haven't tested anything yet.  I will see if I can find my ammonia test kit.

Ouch man that sucks I feel for you. I hope you can figure out what happened. Filters on? I have had that happen once from me forgetting to turn the filter back on after a water change. I caught it with in 24 hours but half of the colony was lost PFR of course not as much of a money loss as you. I am sorry man.

Filters were on when I got back, wife said that the never went out so I don't think it was a filter or heater issue.  Probably just a crash.  It happened in 2 tanks.  I hadn't done a water change since I got them 3 weeks or so.

Sulawesi shrimps can be tricky because their high temperature and ph requirements makes them very prone of ammonium poisoning. Even at very low levels, ammonia (ammonium in this case due to high ph) will kill off sensitive shrimps.

Additionally, their high temp requirement makes it hard to add any plants to even have a nicely scaped tank and control nitrate levels.

I suspect it was a crash due to ammonium level build up and the overall density of the tank. You can't get away with having ammonia spikes like you can with shrimps kept in more acidic water.

I left town on Sunday for work and when I got back today it looks like my tank of cardinals (300 or so) and most of my tank with Harlequins, Red Orchids, and White Orchids are gone.  I don't see any bodies, the shrimp are just gone!  I have no idea what the hell happened while I was gone but my tank of Blue Poso and Mixed Sulawesi's is still ok.  I have ton of copapods or something in the tank but otherwise I don't know what the hell happened :(

Are you keeping them in pH above 8.3?