My husband's crazy idea

So, my husband and I have a dehumidifier in our basement. We empty it every day. I use RO in my tanks with liquid re mineralizer. My husband asked me why don't I try using the water that we usually just pour out of the dehumidifier since it

is just being wasted. I humored him and checked the TDS and it was 30 pretty consistently. Our tap has a TDS of 140-150. Haven't tested the gh/kh but it can't be too high with that TDS. The pH sits around 7.0. So, would you ever use this kind of water for a tank? (Not saying I will, but just kind of curious)

Yes dehumidifiers due traditionally us copper coils. However as the water being pulled out of the atmosphere is near neutral, it shouldn't be breaking down the coils resulting in Cu in the water. An easy way to test this due a Cu test kit. Also in 90% of cases your home, and/or waterline into your home frome the main is Cu and most people don't concern them selves with this and they probably don't think about it.

Agree with meta and I have also used the water in my dehumidifier to top off tanks. Only usually do it on my guppy and pleco tank, I never see a reason to pour it down the drain.

Thanks for the replies. I will have to experiment with this. We recently obtained a baby catfish (bullhead I think) with a bunch of baitfish and I can use that water for top offs. I will test for copper and if negative, I think I will maybe create a small test population with some PFR culls. My RO comes out with a pH of around 6.2 so it would be nice to have something with a slightly higher pH for at least my neos. New project!

I wouldn't use it. Aside from the possibility of copper or other minerals leaching in the water, there could be other contaminants from dust/debris or whatever else may find its way in the drip tray. It's not exactly filtered or distilled. Dehumidifier water is best fed to the houseplants.

TDS can be influenced by everything from minerals to dust. A dissolved soled is a dissolved solid whether it is organic or in organic. As far as copper leaching it is very unlikely as atmospheric water is essentially DI water.

I wouldn't think it's copper but there must be something. It should be distilled water with TDS close to 0. Either something in the air or something in the humidifier/storage tank is getting into the water, and that something is unknown. I wouldn't be very worried if it's multiple things in small quantities (like in tap water) contributing to the 30ppm, but it's also possible that 30ppm is of one substance or even of something harmful. Whether it's safe for shrimps we won't know except if we test it. I'm not sure if that's worth it though.

Anytime! I also use it to water the grass. In the summer I drain all WC in a barrel and pump it outside it serves a dual purpose and doesnt feel like im wasting it down the drain.

I bet it probably has a lot of dust and other things that are in your air on it since so much air is being pulled through the dehumidifier.  I would probably just use it for plants to be on the safe side.