To Buy or Not to Buy

DETAquarium

There is someone in my town that is selling a 2 month old aquarium setup.

- 27g Marineland Aquarium Cube

- Black Stand- Came with Aquarium

- Marineland LED

This came as a set he told me at Petsmart. Valued at $400.

He is selling for $100 which includes a bunch of other aquarium supplies, marineland filter, etc. which I wouldn't use any of it.

My question is should I purchase the aquarium, stand, and light for $100 or talk him down?

I don't need the aquarium setup at all, but the price caught my eye.

Thanks ShrimpSpot!

You can wait for $1 per gallon sell at petco.

I got my 55G for $100 before, but during above event, it's $55.

There is someone in my town that is selling a 2 month old aquarium setup.

- 27g Marineland Aquarium Cube

- Black Stand- Came with Aquarium

- Marineland LED

This came as a set he told me at Petsmart. Valued at $400.

He is selling for $100 which includes a bunch of other aquarium supplies, marineland filter, etc. which I wouldn't use any of it.

My question is should I purchase the aquarium, stand, and light for $100 or talk him down?

I don't need the aquarium setup at all, but the price caught my eye.

Thanks ShrimpSpot!

If you want a display tank with a stand, then it's a good deal.  If you're gonna stick the tank on a rack, then it isn't. 

I have 2 closets full of equipment cause they were a good deal, don't fall into hoarding equipment like me :D

If you want a display tank with a stand, then it's a good deal.  If you're gonna stick the tank on a rack, then it isn't. 

I have 2 closets full of equipment cause they were a good deal, don't fall into hoarding equipment like me :D

Haha, I need a large cull tank to be honest. That would ideally be the result of purchasing this setup. I am working on having the priced reduced though.

You can wait for $1 per gallon sell at petco.

I got my 55G for $100 before, but during above event, it's $55.

Thats a great point James. Unfortunately we only have a Petsmart.

I got one on Craigslist minus the stand. The demensions are odd so it's hard to find a stand, good that yours comes with one. The marineland light is worthless for growing anything. If you just need a cull tank and are not partial to the cube shape you can do it cheaper as others said.

Petco just finished its $1 per gallon tank sale so it wont happen again for quite a while.  I still say no though.  Like someone said, the lights are kind of useless so youd have to get new lights and you wouldn't use the filter so you would be paying 100 for just the tank and stand.    I guess if you need a stand its kind of worth it.    

My reasoning for telling you to skip it is to not reward the guy looking to make back money from his failed impulse buy. He didn't do his research and likely killed off the fish he bought. Now he wants to make some money? No sympathy!

I'd tell him straight that his tank isn't worth more than a dollar per gallon used, and neither is the stand. Since the rest of the stuff is worthless, it should not be factored into the price.

Thank you all for the help. I think I will pass on this one unless the price drops.

Www.camelcamelcamel.com. Paste the url from the amazom product and you get a graph of price history high and low. Interesting to see how prices fluctuate. Can also set alerts for certain price range.

Always surprised how much people want for used tank setups. I've seen so many 10g asking $100 lol. Good call on passing on the tank.