Pinto question

If you can get pinto x pinto then that's the most desirable. Pinto x pinto mischling (TB ) is good also. You can also do pinto x pinto mischling (tibee), and all sorts of other crosses. But these have lower odds for pintos. Not all pintos look good anyway and a lot of people just have a mixed tank of tigers, TB's, pinto mischlings, and pintos. What's photographed are the nice looking individuals. It shouldn't matter but if you can only get a few pintos (like most of us), then you probably want male pintos to spread the genes. Is that what you're asking?

I guess I'm asking more along the lines of is it better to use a male pinto to breed to female pinto mich, or to have male pinto mich to breed to female pintos?

Much of my knowledge comes from selectively breeding neos, but in neos the fem carries most color.  In crs males carry most color genes (so I'm told),

So, perhaps a male pinto is better to breed to female pinto mich for the best increased chances of pintos?

---

Also, I've heard it is very hard to get female pintos because the breeders tend to keep them.  Is this true?

I'm not very experienced with pintos either so I'm speaking from limited experience and what I'm heard and read. I wouldn't think male or female carries the color better. I'm just suggesting that a pinto male can be crossed with say five mischling females whereas a pinto female can only have so many babies in a month. And yea, I think most people would keep the nice females. But that's why you buy juvies.

Hope its ok that i add my pinto question here soothing shrimp..

Can you help me define a pinto..

What makes a pinto a pinto.?

Is it the colouration/pattern.?

Or is it the genes.?

Is it both of the above.?

What is the difference in for example spotted head vs. Spotted head pinto.?

Is the spotted head pinto a pinto misch.?

Like the Taiwan/pinto misch offspring you get from breeding pinto x pinto.?

I just found this older thread which had some good info on pintos. It never hurts to go back and re-read. I'll be following this one since I'm also trying for pintos with some super tiger tibees and some low grade crs that were crossed with tt's. I'll be crossing these with selected tb.

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1018-lets-talk-pintos/

So i have used all day to read and study.

So far i have come to the conclusion that a pinto is a carryer of the tiger gene and denpending on the colouretion and patter it is ither a pinto or a pinto misch.

And spotted head x Taiwan gives spotted head pinto depending om colouration and pattern..

Am i totally wrong here..?

A pinto is a Taiwan bee with some tiger patterns. For it to have tiger patterns, it has to have tiger genes. However, some Taiwan bees have tiger genes but do not show them. These will be called pinto mischlings, since when crossed, then may produce pintos. A pinto mischling can also be a tibee with Taiwan bee gene but not expressing Taiwan bee phenotype. So it's always a good idea to clarify what kind of pinto mischling you're referring to - phenotypically tibee or Taiwan bee.

Spotted head is a pattern of pinto, like zebra, fish bone, golden back. These patterns depend on the tiger gene (or combination of tiger genes) that you used and luck.

I *think* the zebra pinto is also called keyboard.  Can someone confirm or say otherwise?

For further clarification, I'll use a quote from ineke:

"Tibee - is a hybrid between a Tiger ( OEBT - orange eye blue tiger ) or also blonde tiger- and usually a Taiwan Bee ( TB) but some use crystals- CBS (Crystal Black Shrimp) and CRS ( Crystal Red Shrimp) with the Tiger

TaiTibee - is a Tibee crossed back to a Taiwan Bee

Pinto - is a color and type of Taitibee"

Great write up miwu... So i wasent all wrong. Think i am getting it through my thik skull now...

The word phenotype is new to me.. Tryed google and it says Phenotype, all the observable characteristics of an organism, such as shape, size, colour, and behaviour, that result from the interaction of its genotype.

In otherwords i phenotype tibee is not locking like a Taiwan correct..?

Great pics Soothing.

I have read some where that piano pinto should have more narrow black stripes an wider white stripes like a piano.. Havent seen pictures just read it on a nother forum..

So this discussion is way beyond my experience level but I am enjoying reading it all the same.   After reading Soothings last post, I have a question that is probably stupid but has me curious.

Why does it need to be OEBT or blond to be a tibee ?   Do other tigers not work?  

I *think* the zebra pinto is also called keyboard. Can someone confirm or say otherwise?

For further clarification, I'll use a quote from ineke:

"Tibee - is a hybrid between a Tiger ( OEBT - orange eye blue tiger ) or also blonde tiger- and usually a Taiwan Bee ( TB) but some use crystals- CBS (Crystal Black Shrimp) and CRS ( Crystal Red Shrimp) with the Tiger

TaiTibee - is a Tibee crossed back to a Taiwan Bee

Pinto - is a color and type of Taitibee"

Zebra,keyboard,piano

Phenotype is basically what it looks like. So yes, a tibee doesn't look like a Taiwan bee but may carry the Taiwan bee gene.

Other tigers do work. People use red tiger all the time. Some are using the new pearl tigers to achieve spotted head. It's why they are in high demand now.