10G MK Breed Style Tank Setup

kubism

Hey Guys, 

I'm pretty new to the shrimp hobby ( 3 months in ) but I'm very lucky to have meet some nice hobbyists ( both local and international ) that helped me tremendiousely along the way.

After seeing pictures of MK Breed PRL on Facebook, I knew I MUST get my hands on them ! Luckily I live about 15 min away from Blue Crown Aquatics, and found out they will be importing full line of MK Breed Products & Shrimp ! 

Id like to share with everyone my experiances of setting up a new tank using MK Breed products. So far, its been one of the easiest tank setups that I've done, and it grew a epic amount of biofilm / green algae like many of the tanks that the Taiwanese breeders have in their tanks. 

10G rimless tank with thin layer of ADA Amazonia on the bottom.

post-310-0-51635100-1416589223_thumb.jpg

Sprinkled MK Breed Z powder on to the substrate.

post-310-0-59859000-1416589224_thumb.jpg

Covered with another thin layer of ADA, sprinkle 1~3 spoon full of MK Breed Gold Powder on top of the substrate. Filled with RO water, added sponge filter, and another 3 spoonful of Mk Breed Z powder directly into the water. 

post-310-0-61700000-1416589225_thumb.jpg

Turn on the lights and left it on for 2 weeks straight. 

post-310-0-72460500-1416589226_thumb.jpg

End of week 1, starting to have some green algae on the sides.

post-310-0-42173200-1416589227_thumb.jpg

Another shot from the top, starting to green up.

post-310-0-18192300-1416589228_thumb.jpg

2 weeks in the entire tank is green !

post-310-0-28549900-1416589229_thumb.jpg

3rd week

Cleaned the front of the glass to better see the tank. Changed 1/3 of the water with RO, then added MK Breed Blue Diamond to adjust TDS to 80~110, gh2 , also added 1/2 cap full of MK Breed Blood Diamond 

Returned to normal lighting schedule. 

post-310-0-12963800-1416589230_thumb.jpg

Added some moss and tester shrimps.

post-310-0-86128600-1416589230_thumb.jpg

4th weeks, all of the tester shrimps are very active, feeding on all the algae, and molting with ease. Still have tons of algae going, probably need to add a army of shrimps to eat it all. 

post-310-0-66353200-1416589231_thumb.jpg

Im eagerly waiting for the MK Breed PRL that Jason of Blue Crown Aquatics is getting in very soon ! 

Hey Kubism, I like what you have going so far, can't wait to see the PRL CRS you receive.

Thanks for all the kind words guys ! I'll be posting plenty of pics once I get the MK Breed PRLs !

Looks sweet. Do you add Z powder even after the initial setup?

I did not add Z powder after the initial setup. If I'm not mistaken, Z powder is a blend of nitrifying bacteria, which is why its best to have them sandwiched between the substrate to allow the bacteria to colonize easier throughout the substrate. The 3 scoops added into the water during setup is so the bacteria can colonize on the filtering media as well. 

Just a curious question.

Why are you growing unsightly algae on tank glass and those spirogyra?

I wondered the same thing all you is good bio film build up

I think this is a purist tank. True MK-Style if I'm not mistaken. Cultivating algae, good or bad, to raise the healthiest shrimps. I think the tank should be okay since he is balanced with a majority of MK products. [emoji1]

Hmmm.... Hmmm....

Not sure does everyone know that shrimp (the soft-water caridina and not those larger shrimp like Amano) does not eat most of the visible algae, except diatom. Those algae that are visible are too hard for their liking. Usually, they will only eat the young/freshly grow green algae that is hardly visible to naked eyes.

When you see shrimps picking on the algae infested area, they may not be eating the algae. In actual fact, they are picking on microbes and/or zooplankton hanging out that the organics/waste material that stick to the algae. This may sound good at first. But look at this way. Over a period of time, more and more waste material gathered on the algae surface, it will not be desired. Especially tank glass area is so exposed (not like substrate is able to trap the waste material for critters and microbes to breakdown), there will be higher rate of polluting the water. After sometime, too much waste is gathered and you decided to clean it. When you scrap the algae, you will be introducing more waste material into the water at the same time. 

Based on what I had explained, it will be up to shrimp keeper's own discretion on this practice. :)

One more piece of information about Taiwanese breeder. One of their believes about shrimp keeping is "do less changes" or "never change anything". This drives them to change less water or not changing water. After a few months, a lot of organic will buildup and algae will bloom in their shrimp tank. However, they don't purposely grow the algae in their tank. In addition, when they started to see the shrimp dying or not breeding, they will just transfer them to another tank and rebuild the tank without thinking or analysing what has happened (if they are farmer or breeder, I doubt they will have time to bother about why). Most farmers and breeders that I know in Asia, they will periodically revamp the tank of higher-end shrimp at every 6 months, at least. This is also the reason why they use thin substrate to save cost. Same for this information, digest it at your own discretion. ;)

HI Everyone

i'm MK-BREED CRS CENTER Founder

thanks users love our products , and attentive records of all changes .

i will begin to participate in discussions with everyone here.

MK

HI Everyone

thanks users love our products , and attentive records of all changes .

MK

Welcome on board.

欢迎!

HI Everyone

thanks users love our products , and attentive records of all changes .

MK

welcome Mk we are very proud to have you as a member! Love your products!

Picked up 10 MK Breed PRL from Jason Lin of Blue Crown Aquatics over the weekend. The shrimps are amazing, nice soild whites ! Can't wait for them to grow up !

Here's some quick pics, will take more over the Thanksgiving weekend

post-310-141693618714_thumb.jpg

post-310-141693621045_thumb.jpg

Picked up 10 MK Breed PRL from Jason Lin of Blue Crown Aquatics over the weekend. The shrimps are amazing, nice soild whites ! Can't wait for them to grow up !

Here's some quick pics, will take more over the Thanksgiving weekend

Very nice, what's the grade?

HI Everyone

thanks users love our products , and attentive records of all changes .

MK

Welcome buddy! Your presence will make a lot of folks happy. You have quite the following here! [emoji1]