Deaths :(

Duff0712

I recently got some mischlings (a week ago?) and I have now in the last few days found 2 dead and 1 on its death bed.  My temp was really low like 4 days ago so I got a heater and calibrated it so it is 70F constant, which I figure is pretty good. They also haven't eaten any of the food I have tried giving them. Anyone have any ideas to throw out there?

food ive tried.

- Homemade (previous shrimp like and others ive tried it on)

- Shrimp Snow Flake? the bean stuff that breaks into white flakes

- Fluval Shrimp pellet things, that i used to feed

going to get some spinach tommorow to try that

More info.

12G Long

RO/DI water (re-min w/ salty shrimp GH+)

PH: 6.8

TDS: 120-125

KH: ?

GH: ?

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

ADA soil, added bacteria constantly and cycled for 2 mo, until no sign of ammonia or nitrite.

They don't seem to be very active either. When i turned the filter off to do a water change they were swimming around a lot but they seem pretty stationary when its on (which I suppose most shrimp do). The temp did drop about 3-4 degrees when I did a water change a few days ago. 

I seem to be missing like 4 carbon rilis too (hopefully hiding). ARGH whats going on

Try GlasGarten Bacter AE and Betaglucan

http://www.theshrimptank.com/vitamin-health-aids/glasgarten-betaglucan-immunglobulin/

http://www.theshrimptank.com/vitamin-health-aids/glasgarten-bacter-ae/

Are you sure your nitrate are 0?

Most tanks would have more than 0 unless heavily planted.

Try GlasGarten Bacter AE and Betaglucan

http://www.theshrimptank.com/vitamin-health-aids/glasgarten-betaglucan-immunglobulin/

http://www.theshrimptank.com/vitamin-health-aids/glasgarten-bacter-ae/

Are you sure your nitrate are 0?

Most tanks would have more than 0 unless heavily planted.

Nitrate doesn't matter at lower level.. Folks are too quick to ask nitrates and assume levels above 0 is toxic. Nitrite is deadly on ANY levels, but nitrate is fine. I dose nitrates and my tanks are at 3ppm and my shrimps are fine.

ive been trying once a day. they are picking at the substrate and such, but if i notice that the food isnt gone (which so far they don't like anything i put in) I generally take it out. Otherwise i'll prob feed once every other day once I notice they are actually eating.

It's possible the filter flow could be too high. I put a "dampener" on the outtake so it isn't too terribly strong. Most flow is right in the middle of the tank but tapers off quickly to the sides. And I do have a pre fikter sponge on the intake

-Duffy

What makes you think they're not active? If they're always foraging, I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like they can be just stressed from being shipped (?), being acclimated, and the temp swings that you mentioned. I would try to not let the temp drop 3-4 degrees when doing a water change. Other than that, just let them slowly get more comfortable in the tank.

Do you have a spray bar on the outlet, usually that would spread the pressure out a bit. For our tank we have the spray bar aligned close to the surface of the water so the top have a current while the bottom where the shrimps usually stay is quite calm. Also to avoid temperature swings just keep a heater in there and set it at the desired temperature, that should keep your tank at temperature constant. Also the tip countryboy gave is quite critical too since adding water in too fast will cause unwanted fluctuation in water parameters.

Countryboy12484: yeah I usually do a slow acclimation and the water would be up to room temp but I forgot to set up the bucket the previous night. I have a nice setup to slowly readd but the water was just too cool.

Blue crown: I do have a spray bar. Sadly it is too long to set it up long ways on the tank so I have it aimed to the short end in the middle. I have two prefilter sponges I cut and placed over the bar to lessen the strength(it was causing a crater when I first put it on like a month ago). I have a eheim in there that is set for 70 and haven't had a fluctuation besides the water change. I'll be doing less water change or two smaller ones in a day since I had to unplug the heater to do the water change as the water level went below.

I'm thinking more and more now it was the temperature fluctuation. Will do more prep for the future. Now just to get them to eat my food!!!

-Duffy