So I want lavender sand...

So as I wait for the new shrimp to come. I'm still fiddling with the tanks and trying to figure out the best substrate in relation to the color of the shrimp. Something that will be light enough for blue/dark shrimp. Since for Neos I don't need to use something to do a job for the water buffering I can choose just for aesthetics. Right now all my tanks have black sand and low light. It was cheap, seemed like a good idea but even my Pumpkins disappear into it. I worry i wont be able to see the shrimp at all. I came across 3M color quartz mentioned on a ciclid forum and they have a plum and grey sand which seems so pretty. But its not easy to get a hold of the stuff. What are you guys using?

I guess it would just depend on if the sand was actually quartz that is naturally that color. Or if it was colored hopefully it won't bleed. And then it would come down to personal taste. I prefer natural looking set ups but to each their own. I also looked at the colored sands used for sand art.

I guess it would just depend on if the sand was actually quartz that is naturally that color. Or if it was colored hopefully it won't bleed. And then it would come down to personal taste. I prefer natural looking set ups but to each their own. I also looked at the colored sands used for sand art.

All the other tanks are going to be natural I thought my one tiny 3.5g could be a little weird. The great thing about the ColorQuartz is that it is ceramic coated quartz sand, its used for traction in think so the coating is tough and won't come off. You have to get a contractor to order it by the 50lb bag. Substrate source sells some but only the greys and other natural colors.

I exchanged pms with a guy who used powder coating for substrate once. No problems.

That is creative! Is it like tiny beads or something?

I use red turface in my tanks. I have also thought about using garnet sand.

Oh if I could get my hands on some turface,I was trying to build a cactus bed last year and couldn't find anyone in town that used turface. I saw that garnet sand in the blasting section when I bought the black diamond, what does it look like?

The garnet looks like red sand, but very ruff. You couldn't use it for places or any fish the could in jest the sand it would cut them up I would think.

For the turface do you have a John deer commercial/landscaping store near you they should have it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
If you can find a industrial supply company you may be able to get some garnet sand it's used in hydro blasting.