Do paracaridina and caridina cross breed?

post-507-0-50861200-1420417746_thumb.gif  I have found this online - this is how I found out my LFS was full of it when they told me my snowballs and the yellows I bought would not interbreed - lol

ok - just realized it does not answer your question - sorry

The genus Paracaridina was errected in 1999 for atyid shrimps resembling Caridina Cantonensis in general appearence and morphology but lacking one bunch of branchiae near first pereiopod. Paracaridina are also generally smaller in size, but crosses between Paracaridina and Cantonensis have been proven to be viable.

I have some super hornets coming from BC. I know that they are paracardinia. What are the chances of them breeding with Tibee which are half tiger and half CRS?

There's to much speculation. Researching and actually breeding are two different things. No one thought pitfalls and chihuahua could breed but they have. Same for the liger. I believe they can cross solely on the principle of evolution and adaptation.

• 2 weeks later...

The genus Paracaridina was errected in 1999 for atyid shrimps resembling Caridina Cantonensis in general appearence and morphology but lacking one bunch of branchiae near first pereiopod. Paracaridina are also generally smaller in size, but crosses between Paracaridina and Cantonensis have been proven to be viable.

You can actually have crosses of different genus (not just species) in some cases. Yeah, my high school biology class failed there too.

The classification of freshwater shrimps into genera based only on limited morphological differences, such as the absence of one bunch of branchiae, is problematic because such characters can get lost or gained during evolution. It seems that the loss of on bunch of branchiae occurred more than once in Caridina species. More genetic data is needed to generate phylogenetic trees that more accurately depict the relatedness of species. Some Caridina species might be actually closer related to some Paracaridina species than other Caridina species to each other. In other worse the current classification is not ideal.

I expect to see substantial reclassification of freshwater shrimp species in the next years.

I don't think your high school biology class failed you, Chibikale, the faulty classification is to blame. To to justice to the scientists working on the shrimps, it is quite complex and many new species are discovered every year. It will take some time and money to do all the essential analyses. An I also agree with you that shrimps of different genera should not interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

How about someone on this forum does an experiment in a 5 Gallon tank. I don't have the room or time right now but it would basically be this, 2 male part and 6 Female carid. Let them be for a year and see if any babies come out of the tank. Simple. And will dispelled any myths or speculation about it

The classification of freshwater shrimps into genera based only on limited morphological differences, such as the absence of one bunch of branchiae, is problematic because such characters can get lost or gained during evolution. It seems that the loss of on bunch of branchiae occurred more than once in Caridina species. More genetic data is needed to generate phylogenetic trees that more accurately depict the relatedness of species. Some Caridina species might be actually closer related to some Paracaridina species than other Caridina species to each other. In other worse the current classification is not ideal.

I expect to see substantial reclassification of freshwater shrimp species in the next years.

I don't think your high school biology class failed you, Chibikale, the faulty classification is to blame. To to justice to the scientists working on the shrimps, it is quite complex and many new species are discovered every year. It will take some time and money to do all the essential analyses. An I also agree with you that shrimps of different genera should not interbreed and produce fertile offspring.

Para in Latin means beside or along side. The absence of branchiae is an indicator that Paracaridina my be a more primitive shrimp or devolved branchiae and smaller size due to higher dissolved oxygen environment and it is possible that Caridina both bee and tiger may have evolved from Paracaridina or just may be a case of lesser and greater than the species. We also could be witness to natural selection in progress.