new from San Francisco

brunoboy650

If you have a local fish store or a Petco with an RO machine you can get the water for .50  per gal.     Ive heard some of the super walmarts have the machine dispensers for .35  per gal.

I'll call my local Petco tomorrow, Thanks!

Over time the lime stone (LS) will completely mess up your water chemistry. Due to the LS characteristics it will continue to dissolve In your tank and drive the pH up to around 8.4 this in turn will also increase the KH and possible gh depending on the composition of the LS. The prolonged use of RO water with LS will accelerate the dissolving of the LS as it will want to reach equilibrium. My own personal choice for rocks are those that are metamorphic and igneous is nature. This is due to the mineral compostion. And it's aversion to dissolving in solution. The rock that is currently in my tank is a large pice of basalt with pegmatite and feldspar inclusions.

Ok thanks, I just removed both rocks and did a 50% water change , will check again in a few days

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, so I really didn't do much except pulled the rocks and added tetra black water extracts to my tank. Realized you really can't buffer water using that and peat moss in my canister didn't do anything either.... So I changed 5 gallons of water for 5 gallons of RO water of out a 35 gallon tank. Before I did the RO I had fire reds dying after molting. One after another for a week. The cherries i had were all fine and I have 5 test CRS SS grade in it for over two weeks doing fine as well. Wel today I looked in the tank and saw one of my cherries atleast looking like this.B148D332-EAFD-4F56-87F6-D9EB9DCEA21F.jpg