new from San Francisco

brunoboy650

Hey guys and gals,  My name is Shane, new to the shrimp world and here to learn a few things, I just setup a 35 gallon tank two weeks ago with some Malaysian drift wood, Rocks, and using playsand for substrate.As for plants, Anubias, Java moss and some type of African moss? I can't exactly remember what its called lol. Its filtered using a Eheim Canister filter connected to a dual sponge filter. Temp is at 75*F and cycling is almost done. I hope to keep some CRS or OEBT's and want to learn everything I can to have the most beautifully colored and healthy shrimp I can. Any advice would be noted. Thanks

-Shane

You came to the right spot.  Welcome! :)

Thank you!

OEBT is good, CRS is not.

CRS needs soft acidic water.

OEBT are really nice, how are the BTOE?

Welcome. You should turn your temp down to about 70. 75 is on the warm side.

I definitely will, I heard high temps were good for cycling speed up though, how true is that , I will never know lol.

are they? how come? and whats going rate for them?

BTOE = Black Tiger Orange Eye, it's hard to find.

OEBT = Orange Eye Blue Tiger, this one is easy to find.

I get that but are the BTOE the same as a black diamond? And what's the cost to buy a BTOE if you can find them vs price on a OEBT?

No, Black Diamond has black eye. It's not available in US.

Welcome bruno.  I see you are anxious to jump right in!     For OEBT you are looking at probably about 5 - 7 dollars per shrimp.   Less if you are willing to take peoples "Culls"  and start selective breeding yourself.   Culls are when the person breeding them pulls out the less desirable or lower quality   to improve their line.  Sometimes it is not even a matter of quality but they are trying to get one particular trait so they pull anything that is a threat to that trait.    I can't remember the last time I saw btoes for sale and I browse aquabid and ebay regularly.   

I think what people were trying to get at, is that shrimp are famous for dying  and you might want to start with less expensive shrimp to get your feet wet before going for the expensive stuff.   The big problem with shrimp death is that they usually don't die right away.  You will buy them, and they will seem fine, so you buy more.. then a month or 6 weeks later they start dying one by one and you get to solve the mystery of what exactly is not right in your tank.  

Whatever you decide to do... it is addicting and you will love it!

Ohhh hmm, so they are super rare then right? Both BTOE and Black Diamond?

Yes. the closer one you can get is Royal Blue, which has lighter blue.

Before you runout and buy expensive shrimp. What are your water peramiters, pH, gh, kh, TDS.

I will find out later today, What is TDS by the way? I know the terms for everything else but not sure what TDS is and how to check it.

Welcome bruno.  I see you are anxious to jump right in!     For OEBT you are looking at probably about 5 - 7 dollars per shrimp.   Less if you are willing to take peoples "Culls"  and start selective breeding yourself.   Culls are when the person breeding them pulls out the less desirable or lower quality   to improve their line.  Sometimes it is not even a matter of quality but they are trying to get one particular trait so they pull anything that is a threat to that trait.    I can't remember the last time I saw btoes for sale and I browse aquabid and ebay regularly.   

I think what people were trying to get at, is that shrimp are famous for dying  and you might want to start with less expensive shrimp to get your feet wet before going for the expensive stuff.   The big problem with shrimp death is that they usually don't die right away.  You will buy them, and they will seem fine, so you buy more.. then a month or 6 weeks later they start dying one by one and you get to solve the mystery of what exactly is not right in your tank.  

Whatever you decide to do... it is addicting and you will love it!

Thank you for the insight, I have met a few craigslist hobbyist that have CRS for pretty cheap, usually $3 each or so. and i don't mind taking on the task of lower quality for the fact of learning. I appreciate the help and motivation  :thumbsu:

Yes. the closer one you can get is Royal Blue, which has lighter blue.

oh ok thats cool. I like the coloring of the OEBT's, well I like the coloring of Blue shrimp in general so I guess I will look into those aha. Thanks

Just so you know.. Crs  need water of ph around 6.0 - 6.2   and the Tigers you like need Ph 7 plus so you cant keep them in the same tank.     

oh yea I know, I don't want to cross either so I will be keeping it as one Type of shrimp

If you like blues,   check out  carbon rili, blue Rili,  blue Velvet, blue dream.  blue pearl...  All are more forgiving about water parameters. 

will look into it thank you!

.  this is the TDS meter I have.. works fine for pretty cheap   http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422744257&sr=8-1&keywords=tds+meter

Sadly you are probably going to need to use some RO water . due to your GH .    (Or distilled water)  I forget what size tank you have. If its a small tank its not bad.    If its a large tank that can get expensive.  

it will lower your PH also which is fine..    Tigers like it closer to 7 anyway.  I think 8ph is the top of the meter for them.  

I bet this is turning into a bigger project than you thought huh?